First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi I have a CS4231 sound card here

Oddly it has working sound in
Windows 9x
Microsoft/Windows Sound System (not really in Windows)
Adlib
Sound Blaster FM

But it doesn't have sound for PCM Sound Blaster! 🙁
oddly this worked for me in 1994 but not today!! BLASTER variables are set and everything. 🙁

Also any fun facts about the CS4231? It seems to boast native OPL3 but even i'm skeptical about that.

it's a turtle beach montecarlo (928), but i call it cs4231 for short.

Last edited by leileilol on 2008-06-27, 06:37. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps you know it, but if not, here's the site that should contain all necessary information:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/570.asp

Despite the fact that the Monte Carlo 928 has a Crystal CS4231 on it, it is said that the card is "OPTI 928" based.
If you have not allready done it, look up the various faqs, where I found this information concerning SB:

"Be sure that the Monte Carlo is in SB mode. You can verify this by typing <drive letter> :\mcmode /S. (Be sure to include the space between the "e" in "mode" and the "/" .

EXAMPLE from the prompt: C:\MCMODE /S

Doing this command will specify that the Monte Carlo is operating in Sound Blaster mode which was specified in the installation program (DOS portion only).
The possible settings are as follows:
I/OAddress: 220, 240
Interrupt (or IRQ) 7, 5, 11
DMA 1, 0, 3"

Many cards that provide Sound Blaster and Windows Sound System compability are only able to work in one of the two modes at the same time.

I have a Turtle Beach Tropez Classic that can not play Soundblaster sounds as long as it is in WSS mode. You have to change this using the dos setup utility.

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's already /S, (through the setup program too), that's the scary part

another odd problem is that the windows volume/record control doesn't show up at all for this card (not even starting up sndvol32 directly works), which sucks since i wanted to record and study its opl3 output.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the Windows Sound System DOS drivers will help. Unfortunately Google's a PITA for looking for that. It does however contain a program that enables SB emulation through WSS. Perhaps it'll do a better job than the tsr this card provides.

Where's this?

apsosig.png
long live PCem