VOGONS

nVidia 6800 or ATI 9800?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, regarding the sound cards, I only have the Turtle Beach card. I'm still looking for an Audigy 1 (platinum) card. ATM, I can't find one! It's funny, because before I got interested in retro gaming, I actually had a brand new Audigy 1 platinum card which I subsequently sold! Now I wish I hadn't done that! 🤣

Reply 21 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audigy 1's awful, why not have an Audigy 2? That's like Creative's best PCI card ever. Good luck finding a good model of those though as Creative likes to water down and sell out crappy models after the release of a newer inferior product

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 29, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's quite strange - I went to look for the Audigy 2 Win98 drivers on Creative's website, but couldn't find any! There are applications for Win98SE + the Audigy 2, but no drivers for it.

Anyway, I actually have an old Audigy 2 ZS card lying about doing nothing, so I'm going to download those Win98 drivers using your provided link and try it out!

Reply 26 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, Audigy 2 ZS is much more better. I have one too. But not using it. Have to check the install cd, though, if there are drivers for win98. It should have. If I'm not mistaken, only X-Fi cards onwards have abandoned w98 system. Audigy 2 ZS requires W98SE as minimum, I think.

Reply 27 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, only X-Fi cards onwards have abandoned w98 system. Audigy 2 ZS requires W98SE as minimum, I think.

Interesting enough, I've just found Audigy 4 driver for Win98 SE. I wonder if it offers full EAX functionality on Win98 though. For example, do you still get 7.1 channel when playing EAX games in win98?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 28 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I wonder if it offers full EAX functionality on Win98 though. For example, do you still get 7.1 channel when playing EAX games in win98?

Win98SE should be able to handle 7.1 channel, since in this, there is no real time sound decoding going on a la Dolby Digital. I may be wrong, but, I guess, dividing and routing the discrete channels to the respective speakers won't be too much of a burden to W98SE, since it's just that - routing / directing sounds to the respective channels, unless the digital output is selected.

Reply 29 of 29, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Win98 you often need to run the CMSS app/control panel to enable more than 2 channel audio (4, 4.1, 5.1 and 7.1) for DS3D, Aureal and Creative EAX aware apps. Without CMSS some DS3D apps will work such as UT2003/2004 but most will produce only stereo or no sound at all when surround audio is selected. Oh and this only works with analog output too.