VOGONS

First post, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been sniffing around the internet looking for a Yamaha DB50XG for my Vortex 2 based sound card, and i've found both a "real deal" DB50XG and an NEC clone of the DB60XG.

i've been reading through the forums and have learned the the DB60 the same as the DB50 but with an onboard audio input. -- which makes no difference for my retro gaming needs,

I wonder, however, given the choice between a real DB50 and DB60 clone, would you guys suggest i get the real card, or does it really not matter?

incidentally the guy with the clone is based in shanghai which is kinda far and includes rather expensive shipping. the lady with the real DB50XG is in Quebec, which is much closer to me here in NY, but she is not the most proactive seller and has been kind of a pain to deal with so far.

should i just put up with the lady in quebec a while longer to get the real DB50 or can i just get the clone and call it a day? I imagine the difference in shipping to be maybe $10 and a few extra days -- which is negligible at the end of the day.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

cmm3

Reply 3 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am in the same position as the OP. I keep looking at those Chinese daughterboards on ebay, wondering if I should get one!

Will it fit my Creative SBs (16 & 32) OK? Will it be OK for my DOS games? If so, I think I'll get one!

Just wanted to double check with the Oracles of retro wisdom on Vogons first before buying!

Many thanks.

Reply 4 of 11, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I am in the same position as the OP. I keep looking at those Chinese daughterboards on ebay, wondering if I should get one! […]
Show full quote

I am in the same position as the OP. I keep looking at those Chinese daughterboards on ebay, wondering if I should get one!

Will it fit my Creative SBs (16 & 32) OK? Will it be OK for my DOS games? If so, I think I'll get one!

Just wanted to double check with the Oracles of retro wisdom on Vogons first before buying!

Many thanks.

Bought two of these from this seller in the past.
Highly recommended seller, fast shipping and packs everything by the book

These boards have very nice GM capabilities, I recently tried the XG midi demos from my SW60XG CD and realized how good XG midi really is..too bad only one game supported XG..Final Fantasy VII
The GM compatability is very nice on these boards....

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 11, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Just sold!!! (to me) 🤣

cool 😁

Remember to use it with an early CT17xx series sound blaster if you don't want sticking notes
Maybe you're going to use it on a mega, uber cool Terratec sound card 😎

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 9 of 11, by Farfolomew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hate to bring up old threads (although this one's not too old in the grand scheme of things, so it's ok 😀, but I too just purchased one of these Clone boards and am waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime, i'm curious to hear about your guys' experience with it so far. How does it compare to the real thing? What about against Roland DBs? Thanks!

Reply 10 of 11, by Menkau_ra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to buy one too! But I want to hear a somebody's review about this Nec clone. How many mb is in? I've heard it is 2mb, but if it is a clone it should be 4mb. Will it work on Diamond Monster mx300 card?

Reply 11 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one hooked up to an MX300, it worked fine for me for the brief time before the computer it was in died (haven't bothered fixing it yet).

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem