VOGONS

First post, by [TGA3DX] Tim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Some of you might know me on here, some not.

My name is Timber (or Tim for short) and I’ve been collecting video cards for quite some time now. Back in December I decided to make a website for my collection. It’s called The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration, and it covers all high end graphics cards from the very beginning of 3D in 1994, to 2003. The site contains many retail cards and also some very rare pieces of hardware, including prototypes.

This is purely a hobby, I’m not a 3D professional in any way, I’ve just got a big passion for 3D acceleration, games, and the hardware that runs them.
My goal is to keep this part of early 3D acceleration alive, sort of like a hardware museum if you like.

I don’t particularly like websites that are a work in progress, but I had to choose from either showing my collection already, or wait a long time for all the info on the cards to be completed.

Please have a look, and let me know what you think of it, either on here, or via tga3dx@gmail.com

The main picture gallery is under “The Collection – Golden Era” and then select the appropriate year.

www.tga3dx.com

Thanks! 😀

Reply 8 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[TGA3DX] Tim wrote:

Thanks swaaye, you here? 😀

Oh I am indeed here. This forum is my favorite on da intarwebz!!! Don't miss my giant post of retro magazine hardware reviews over in the Marvin subforum. 😉

Reply 11 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

ps: tim you can download the first 100 issues of cgw magazine
swaaye will have a link

I imagine there's a torrent of that collection out there somewhere. It was put together by the CGW Museum and CGW itself was fine with it. That archive is one hell of a blast to the past. I would love to see the rest of the magazines archived, but it is such time consuming work that it's almost insane to imagine (:)) and the issues of the '90s get absolutely ridiculously huge.

ZD does have digital versions of many of the issues from 2000 and later. It used to be possible to buy the digital copies. I have a feeling that they'll never do anything with them though considering how the company is falling apart.

Reply 15 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow nice link Davros 😀

[TGA3DX] Tim wrote:

Whoa, that's crazy, so much! It seems to stop at 1992 though? 😀

Yeah the CGW Museum only put together the first 100 issues because the "curator" over there is mainly interested in those years and because the '90s issues get to be about 500 pages each or so.

I've been pondering getting a document feeder scanner and chopping up my duplicate issues. Costs lots $$ money though and it would be a big undertaking.....

Reply 16 of 47, by [TGA3DX] Tim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man those were big magazines. Shame that it stopped there though, I would love to read some of the reviews of some of these cards. It's really difficult finding information on the old ones.

Reply 18 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[TGA3DX] Tim wrote:

Man those were big magazines. Shame that it stopped there though, I would love to read some of the reviews of some of these cards. It's really difficult finding information on the old ones.

Usenet is the place to go. Google Groups, to be exact. Just about everything has been discussed to death on there. Unfortunately you run into a lot of ancient flame wars. How things never change, eh.

It's actually somewhat entertaining to read flame wars with the perfectly clear hindsight we have of how that hardware turned out. Also gives one a new perspective on how it may not be worth the effort to become loyal to a piece of hardware that becomes meaningless so quickly. 😉

Reply 19 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

We dont care how much it costs you Swaaye 😁

It's both tempting and somewhat horrifying to think about. It is very, very time-consuming work. But it is also so cool to have these magazines preserved for all and so easily accessible.

I am still completely amazed that the CGW Museum fellow did all that he did......