VOGONS

Voodoo Banshee + SB16 problem!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The blue connector is for the monitor and the black connector is for the pass-through cable that you will need to plug into the Cirrus graphics monitor port 😀 The graphics card in your pic is definitely a Voodoo 2 and does not have a 2D chip.... it needs to be connected to your Cirrus graphics card.

Reply 21 of 27, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have decided to insert the following parts in my DeskPro:

A Voodoo 2 PCI card
A Hollywood Plus PCI hardware decoder card
8 sticks of 72-pin SIMM RAM of 32MB each.
Maybe with that setup the system would be able to play DVDs (a DVD drive is already installed, together with a regular CD drive).

Now I was wondering whether my power supply and system fan would support those extra parts. Would they?

I uploaded a picture of the inside of my DeskPro. Sorry for the quality, my camera sucks.

DeskPro4000.jpg

As you probably would have guessed, like in all compaqs of this type, the power supply and system fan are in the rear right of the machine. The maximum wattage supported by the power supply is 160Watt.

This one fan is all the cooling this system has. Would it be sufficient?

Reply 22 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote:
I have decided to insert the following parts in my DeskPro: […]
Show full quote

I have decided to insert the following parts in my DeskPro:

A Voodoo 2 PCI card
A Hollywood Plus PCI hardware decoder card
8 sticks of 72-pin SIMM RAM of 32MB each.
Maybe with that setup the system would be able to play DVDs (a DVD drive is already installed, together with a regular CD drive).

Now I was wondering whether my power supply and system fan would support those extra parts. Would they?

I uploaded a picture of the inside of my DeskPro. Sorry for the quality, my camera sucks.

DeskPro4000.jpg

As you probably would have guessed, like in all compaqs of this type, the power supply and system fan are in the rear right of the machine. The maximum wattage supported by the power supply is 160Watt.

This one fan is all the cooling this system has. Would it be sufficient?

Thats strange... all the Compaq Deskpro 4000's i have worked with don't use 72-pin simms? Even my old one only used dimms and it had a 200w PSU manufactured by Seasonic (or it may have been 250W?)

Anyway i am sure your PSU will be ok as i have seen Pentium 4 systems running from 160W PSU's.... Even some old Dell Optiplex PIII systems only used 110W PSU's with 32mb AGP graphics cards 😳

Reply 23 of 27, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Thats strange... all the Compaq Deskpro 4000's i have worked with don't use 72-pin simms? Even my old one only used dimms and it had a 200w PSU manufactured by Seasonic (or it may have been 250W?)

Well, it took me a few days to get myself to verify which specific kind of RAM is installed in this system, but today I finally opened my Deskpro once more and, for the first time ever, unscrewed all the drives from their bays and detached them from their cables, so that I could remove the RAM modules from their sockets and take a close look at them. Apparently, they must be of the SIMM 72-pin type, since they are about 4.2" in length.

Given the system booted just fine after I had put the RAM modules back and reconnected all the IDE and power cables, I don't expect much hassle when I install my new RAM modules in a few days.

As for the ebay-auctions; the hardware decoder card should arrive in one or maybe three days, besides that I also bought eight RAM modules about four hours ago. The Voodoo2 card still isn't mine yet, but there are several auctions I'm keeping a close eye on.

When everything is connected, installed and configured correctly (hopefully in about a week), I'll post what I think of the result. For now; thanks for all the help so far, Kiwi, Elianda and PowerPie!!

Reply 24 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It just occured to me that you may be better off using a Voodoo 1 based card with your 133mhz CPU - unless you will be upgrading the CPU? As far as i remember the Voodoo 2 and Voodoo Banshee cards do not scale very well with CPU's under 166 or 200mhz!

If the memory slots on your board are white then they are most likely for 72-pin simms 😀 and your board will most likely support upto a 200mhz non MMX Intel Pentium CPU.

Reply 25 of 27, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

It just occured to me that you may be better off using a Voodoo 1 based card with your 133mhz CPU - unless you will be upgrading the CPU?

Well, I'm not entirely sure yet, as several of such cpu's are still quite expensive on ebay (while sellers who offer one at a lower price are a bit vague as to whether the cpu would still work). Besides that, replacing CPU's seems tricky :p.

I ended up on some Dutch forum (I'm from Belgium myself) where people exchange their old hardware. The problem is that, so far, I have only seen users offering Pentiums with 166 and 233mhz. A 166mhz CPU would mean an increase of only 33mhz, while, on the other hand, a 233mhz might not work. What do you think? Is there a good chance that a 233mhz would work in my DeskPro? I don't know any details about the motherboard, but if you could tell me how to find out, I'll give it a try.

I take it that the 133mhz cpu currently in place would have to be removed? In other words, that it wouldn't be possible to get it to cooperate with a 200/233mhz???

Oh and the slots are white, yes.

Reply 26 of 27, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote:
Well, I'm not entirely sure yet, as several of such cpu's are still quite expensive on ebay (while sellers who offer one at a lo […]
Show full quote
PowerPie5000 wrote:

It just occured to me that you may be better off using a Voodoo 1 based card with your 133mhz CPU - unless you will be upgrading the CPU?

Well, I'm not entirely sure yet, as several of such cpu's are still quite expensive on ebay (while sellers who offer one at a lower price are a bit vague as to whether the cpu would still work). Besides that, replacing CPU's seems tricky :p.

I ended up on some Dutch forum (I'm from Belgium myself) where people exchange their old hardware. The problem is that, so far, I have only seen users offering Pentiums with 166 and 233mhz. A 166mhz CPU would mean an increase of only 33mhz, while, on the other hand, a 233mhz might not work. What do you think? Is there a good chance that a 233mhz would work in my DeskPro? I don't know any details about the motherboard, but if you could tell me how to find out, I'll give it a try.

I take it that the 133mhz cpu currently in place would have to be removed? In other words, that it wouldn't be possible to get it to cooperate with a 200/233mhz???

Oh and the slots are white, yes.

Yes you will have to remove the 133mhz cpu and put another cpu in it's place. 233mhz cpu's are MMX and i don't think your motherboard will support cpu's with MMX technology 😒 Your best bet would be to get a plain Pentium 200mhz cpu (non MMX).... I know Compaq 4000 motherboards with dimm slots work with MMX cpu's but i am not sure about yours?

Reply 27 of 27, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I know Compaq 4000 motherboards with dimm slots work with MMX cpu's but i am not sure about yours?

OK 😀 Well, if I were to replace the cpu with a better one, I'd prefer one having MMX technology.... If you tell me how to, I can try to find out the details about my motherboard you need to know so as to determine whether it would support an MMX CPU. Is there any program that can determine the manufacturer, model and any other specific details of a motherboard? I'm thinking about programs like Everest and Belarc, though I don't think (if I recall well) these two are very specific with regard to motherboards.