VOGONS

First post, by BobKnepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I, as I did in a previous DOS system, run WordStar and dBase/FoxPro in a 60 row by 132 column format?

New system is XP SP3 with an Nvidia/GeForce 8400GS video card and a ViewSonic VXX2262 1050x1680 pixel display. I can run a cmd.exe box, get a C:\ window and prompt, and set the window to 60x132 characters. Can enter a fake command of 132 characters and repeat it down the screen showing that XP's cmd.exe can support 60x132 characters.

However, when I call WordStar 6.0 or FoxPro-DOS, each set to 60x132 characters, the cmd.exe window instantly changes to 50 x 80 characters and WS or dBase run in the top 30x80 characters.

Will DOSBox help me operate at 60x132?, and/or I'll pay a consulting fee for a solution.

Separate: what is BBcode?

Thank You.

Bob

Reply 2 of 3, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BobKnepper wrote:

How can I, as I did in a previous DOS system, run WordStar and dBase/FoxPro in a 60 row by 132 column format?

New system is XP SP3 with an Nvidia/GeForce 8400GS video card and a ViewSonic VXX2262 1050x1680 pixel display.

Short answer is that the NTVDM in WinXP (SP3) only supports the VESA text resolutions that the video BIOS of the display adapter supports. nVidia has deprecated the VESA text mode 0x10C (132x60). There is the additional problem of the WinXP VGA.SYS system file which will prevent most current nVidia cards from most non-VGA resolutions.

As far as DOS itself, your nVidia 8400GS would not support the 132x60 VESA text resolution as that support, as previously stated was removed from the nVidia video BIOS. I do not believe that the current DosBOX v 0.73 supports VESA text modes.

best of luck,

dvwjr

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox has a couple of built-in text modes for 132x25 and 132x43 with the 16-line font, and 132x50 and 132x86 with the 8-line font. Getting DOS applications to use these modes will probably depend on whether they want to set the mode themselves, or will "adapt" to the current mode when they are executed.

I have fiddled with WordStar 4, and it will use the DOSBox modes by running a small program that sets the mode before running WS. There are a couple of bytes in WS.EXE that have to be changed to the desired number of rows and columns, which are normally set by the install program, but I find it easier to just hack them in when I want to change the dimensions. Here's a screenshot of WS4 running in DOSBox @ 132x86 (thumbnailed because it's big):

ws4v.th.png