VOGONS

First post, by tsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I had nothing better to do, I installed VirtualBox and set up a DOS 6.22 installation to try some games.

When I was still installing DOS, I realized that this virtualization program is aimed at newer OS's, because it has a problem with MDA text mode. Sometimes it doesn't do newlines, so every line of text appears on top of the screen and covers the previous one (actually this only seems to happen when I issue a virtual CTRL-ALT-DEL combination to reset the machine, so shutting it down and restarting it is a sufficient workaround).

I successfully installed a mouse driver and a CD driver. Then I downloaded the Sound Blaster 16 DOS drivers from the Creative website. I successfully installed them, although VirtualBox offers no MIDI/OPL emulation whatsoever, so DIAGNOSE.EXE would complain and wouldn't let me customize port number, DMA and IRQ.

I tried running a couple of games I have on CD, "The Big Red Adventure" and "Azrael's Tear", plus the "Fasttracker 2" music editor, some cracktros and a music disk I got on Pouet.net.

All the cracktros ran too fast and without sound. Actually only one of them featured digital sound, but it ran silent too. All the others had OPL sound, which of course didn't play. The music disk, which was a collection of MOD and XM tunes, worked well with perfect sound, but its mouse interface was almost unusable because of lack of smoothness.

Fasttracker 2 would come up and then freeze.

The Big Red Adventure ran very well, with digitized speech. It was a bit too fast and of course had no music.

Azrael's Tear was surprisingly smooth and fast. I tried walking around in various rooms and the speed was perfect. On the other hand, it didn't recognize the Sound Blaster, had a choppy mouse pointer and had some keyboard problems: sometimes when I released the coursor keys, the character still moved for a while. It's a shame because this game isn't really playable in DosBox (at least on my PC). I also tried it with VDMsound but it was either choppy or too fast.

I can confirm what I read around the Internet: VirtualBox is unbelievably fast. Most people say it's difficult to set up a comfortable DOS environment into it, but I disagree: it all depends on your knowledge about computers and DOS. It just takes time because MS DOS isn't built in and you have to actually install it. The main problem about playing DOS games in VirtualBox is that the software was born with a different purpose. With some more compatibility and some kind of OPL/MPU401 emulation, it would be a very interesting alternative to DosBox when it comes to CPU-hungry games.

Reply 2 of 18, by tsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

was the speech in the intro to "The Big Red Adventure" played properly too?

Yes, it was.

robertmo wrote:

And if it was ok, have you used the D parameter in your config.sys:
DEVICE=c:\dos\emm386.exe D=64

The games' setup program itself changed my config.sys; IIRC it put such a line in it, so the answer is yes. Because of this, there was some strange behaviour during system startup, I think both himem.sys and and diagnose.exe would complain about something; I didn't check what was going on, though, because the game worked as expected.

Reply 3 of 18, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think MS Virtual PC will be your best DOS environment, but even it's not perfect. VMWare Workstation is pretty good too, but since it doesn't emulate a real video card (like the S3 Trio), it won't have Win 3.1 drivers. VirtualBox, QEMU and the others are not as good. DOSBox rules them all for games. But if you miss config.sys & autoexec.bat file tweaking, see my post on memory management. You might get a kick out of it.

Virtual PC and VMware Workstation DOS memory management

Reply 4 of 18, by tsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will certainly try Virtual PC. Today I've been reading a lot about all those virtualization programs and I agree with you that it probably best suits my needs.
I had a look at your config/autoexec. It's amazing how flexible they are and how much free conventional memory you got! Back in the day I would almost randomly enable and disable things until the damn game worked!

Reply 5 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I personally had much better results with vmware compared to vpc and qemu.
Especially qemu was flaky (like the game renders 120fps but there's only a real
update of the screen every second so it's unusable).

Reply 6 of 18, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither are perfect, but some games work better in one vs the other. I remember loading up my favorite 30 or so games and trying them out on each one. I can't remember which ones did better on which emulator, but both played a majority of them. Some did better on one vs the other, and some didn't play at all. But VPC was more stable in DOS and Windows 3.1, so it's my favorite. Some of the advanced features of VMware, like USB support and better networking don't matter for DOS, so they didn't factor in.

Reply 8 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

Sorry to butt in, but which of those virtualizers would you consider the best not for DOS, but for win98? Networking, and gfx wise.

Either Qemu or VirtualPC 2004. VirtualBox is only good for virtualizing Linux and Windows 2000/XP. It's no good for Win9X and DOS, since its emulated adapter doesn't even bother with VESA.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For Dos and Win9x I'd go with VPC 2004. AFAIR support for those were drastically reduced in VPC 2007 (I *think* the support files (graphics drivers and such) were removed as well, but not sure about this).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 18, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
temptingthelure wrote:

Sorry to butt in, but which of those virtualizers would you consider the best not for DOS, but for win98? Networking, and gfx wise.

Either Qemu or VirtualPC 2004. VirtualBox is only good for virtualizing Linux and Windows 2000/XP. It's no good for Win9X and DOS, since its emulated adapter doesn't even bother with VESA.

Going by both what you say and what Dominus says, why is VPC 04 better for win98 than VPC 07? Were the support files for win98, like the DOS ones, dropped too in VPC 07?

Reply 13 of 18, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't tried V3 of VirtualBox yet but have had stability issues with the 2.x versions. I have read that, among other things V3 offers improved DirectX and OpenGL support so when I have time I will setup a Windows 9x machine and test it out.

MS VPC is better for running DOS than VMWare or VirtualBox since it emulates both SB16 (No Midi/OPL), S3 Trio V2 with VESA and an Intel NIC.

(Click on thumbnails for larger images)

12936127.th.jpg

Looks like Vogons doesn't display properly in IE5 - but 99% of the sites I visitied don't either. You can install the S3 driver in WFW to get up to 1024x768 @16 million colors while VMWare/VirtualBox only support 640x480@16 colors. And yes, you can install Sound Blaster drivers for sound in the Windows Entertainment Packs.

55084215.th.jpg

Fasttracker 2 run fine in MS VPC:

72907990.th.jpg

Interia Player 1.21 plays music as well:

80032860.th.jpg

Demos? Forget it. Most don't work/lockup, the ones that do work are either too fast or have no sound. Here's one that does work:

55215546.th.jpg

Wolfenstein 3d works with sound:

33769607.th.jpg

Eye of the Beholder works with sound:
57275445.th.jpg

I haven't tried many other games in MS VPC. I find that DOSBOX is best for games and demos. If you want to fool around with Windows For Workgroups and have networking MS VPC is the best choice. If you decide to go down the MS VPC route let me know if you need any help. I don't honestly know what is the difference between VPC 2004 and 2007, I use 2004.

Reply 14 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I *think* I ha dproblems with Joysticks under VPC, either under Dos or under Win311, but don't remember anymore

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 18, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the only "changes" in VPC07 over 04 were just compatibility for vista as a guest, right? I could be wrong nonetheless. I dont know if some features and support for anything was dropped from 04 going to 07.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 16 of 18, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
temptingthelure wrote:

I think the only "changes" in VPC07 over 04 were just compatibility for vista as a guest, right? I could be wrong nonetheless. I dont know if some features and support for anything was dropped from 04 going to 07.

Not specifically, no. Some changes to the VM additions means that the Windows ones no longer worked on W95 and those for DOS were no longer included with 07. Taking the appropriate VM additions from 04 work just fine.

VPC07 officially supported XPSP3 and Vista (as host and guest), whereas VPC04 didn't (note the word "officially" -- they worked just fine on 04 in my experience). It's not the only change, though. Much more important was the introduction of the use of hardware virtualisation features. Another cool thing was multi-monitor support on the host. Service pack 1 fixed some networking issues and enhanced the capabilities of the emulated graphics card to allow wide-screen and higher resolutions.

Reply 17 of 18, by tsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote:

Fasttracker 2 run fine in MS VPC:

Not quite. You're only seeing the top half of it. Anyway I tried running it in MS Virtual PC 2007 and experienced severe performance problems, although the music did play.

Reply 18 of 18, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
temptingthelure wrote:

I had severe stability problems in DOS and Win3.x in VPC2007. Downgrading to 2004 on the same host machine cured all the problems. In fact, taking and running the same VHD's HDD images on VPC2004 vs 2007 confirmed, for me at least, that 2004 is the way to go if DOS/WIN apps are your goals.

For games, DosBox is the hands down choice. No comparison.