VOGONS

First post, by yamann777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to use DOSBox to allow SpinRite to fix a USB voice recorder with deleted files and bad sectors on it. Downloaded DOSBox, ran it, mounted the USB drive, mounted the CDROM with SpinRite on it and ran SpinRite. That worked. Both drives were DIR available accurately. Started SpinRite. It saw the USB, selected for repair, then locked up. Gonna need help with this one. Any consideration you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Yamann777

Reply 2 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SpinRite can’t do that either, since its recovery relies on the physical properties of magnetic media. Recovery of flash media is impossible if the memory gates are damaged.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 4, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two points (taken from Wikipedia):

SpinRite may be run from a bootable floppy disk, USB flash drive or CD-ROM on a PC-compatible computer, independent of the operating system installed on the host computer.

SpinRite tests the data surfaces of read-write magnetic disks including IDE, SATA, USB, floppy, ZIP and others.

Reply 4 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are highlighting the wrong part.

Miki Maus wrote:

Two points (taken from Wikipedia):

SpinRite tests the data surfaces of read-write magnetic disks including IDE, SATA, USB, floppy, ZIP and others.

Yes, it’s my fault.