VOGONS

First post, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where can a (realtively) new member of the Vogons community find out (easily) what some of the tools discussed here are all about?

GLiDOS is used where and when?

OpenGLide, same thing (?)

VDMSound, what is it? It seems to function like DOSbox; what can it do that DOSbox cannot?

That's just for starters.

P.S. I keep thinking that I didn't start coming here until this year, although I can see that I'd first arrived two years ago. Which means I probably came in during an aborted prior project of either playing a vintage game that I never went through with, or getting an oldie PC running, and didn't meet with success on that at the time.

Last edited by Kiwi on 2009-08-24, 12:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Kiwi

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GLIDOS uses Windows NTVDM for emulation of everything with the games except 3DFX support which GLIDOS provides via OpenGLIDE.

OpenGLIDE is a 3DFX to OPENGL wrapper

VDMSOUND is obsolete, it's used to replaced NTVDM's shiity or nonexistent sound emulation. USE DOSBOX INSTEAD.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From that, given no previous familiarity with NTVDM, after a jump out to Google & Wikipedia, it sounds like the NT 32 bit versions of Windows uses that when a user starts a 16 bit process from the RUN command, and perhaps also to emulate the DOS prompt ("Command Prompt")?

Kiwi

Reply 4 of 4, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NTVDM uses v86 cpu mode, which AMD purposely left out in their 64 bit extension to x86(no one would use this anymore! like the infamous 640k is all anyone will ever need claim,) and Intel followed suit(they assert AMD copied them, blah, blah, politics.) With no 64bit v86 mode and OSs having moved to 64bit, there's no more functioning NTVDM to run all that old software. I posted on vogons about a patent application I ran across by Microsoft about quickly switching between 32bit and 64bit modes, sort of like how qemu does its hardware acceleration for protected mode before Intel VT and AMD-V hardware virtualization. The hope being that one could use that 32<->64 fast mode switch to run v86 code from a 64 bit OS.