VOGONS

First post, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can someone with a scanner or digital camera post pictures of both sides of the Adlib card? Or preferably send me one :)

Seriously, the components are so simple but to recreate the schematics I need to look at both sides of the PCB. Images I have already found are too grainy to see anything from the bottom side, but there is some parts that are blur on component side as well.

- Jepael,
still regretting I sold my Adlib ~15 years ago since I had a Soundblaster which is now lost.

Reply 1 of 24, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't help you; I remember that the earliest Soundblaster I had came with an amplifier, and could be used with unamplified speakers, while the adlib was unable to do that, which meant a slightly higher investment first going into PC sound (I had used some sort of software emulation of an adlib that used the PC's little speaker -- really terrible, but the software was either free, or so inexpensive as shareware, that it was worth trying for awhile).

I think I know where that old antique SB is hiding now, though. It had a volume control wheel on its rear bracket, or I should say, "in" its bracket, since only a segment of the wheel came through a slot . . that was a very, VERY long time ago! PC-XTs & ATs, still, not 386es yet!

Kiwi

Reply 3 of 24, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

only front side and you may already seen them but just in case:
http://www.dearhoney.idv.tw/Museum/SW-Ad_Lib.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~akwaaba/qs/soundstuff/i … /AdLib_1987.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~akwaaba/qs/soundstuff/i … /AdLib_1990.jpg
http://www.crossfire-designs.de/index.php?lan … of%201990&num=3

Reply 6 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes I can provide with detailed pics if all the above do not suffice 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 24, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keropi can you please post detailed pics of both sides?

Two of the front side pictures linked above were quite perfect, and they were from different PCB revision.

However, the only picture from the back side was not that good as the PCB tracks cannot be seen clearly.

So if possible the PCB tracks, component markings on ICs and color codes on resistors should be clearly visible. It may be hard to get the capacitor values as they may be on the side of the component, but anyone that could also post detailed info from the components will help recreating the schematics.

At first I would be recreating the original schematics, but that is not absolutely necessary as there is not that many combinations how the digital side works. It's the analog side that is very unclear to me, but clearly there is an operational amplifier and additional beefy amplifier with output volume.

Maybe later in the future I or someone else can create something physical from the schematic. Maybe a 1:1 replica if someone can get their hands on the Yamaha chips, maybe something even better.

One thing comes to my mind is a PCI card with OPL3 and perhaps digital outputs in addition to superior analog sound performance, but definitely anyone can design an ISA card DIY kit.

There is also one french guy that build an ISA slot from the LPT port, and Adlib into it, so maybe an LPT-port based Adlib replica would be in order too.

While we are at it, why not a handheld OPL player to combat MP3 players..

Reply 8 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, I will post some 7MP pictures tomorrow if all goes well 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are the promised pics, I hope you can make good use of them...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/CIMG0948.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/CIMG0950.jpg

Reply 10 of 24, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you very much!

Although the copper tracks are very similar in color, I think I can fiddle around with contrast settings or such, otherwise things look very good indeed!

I may have to ask some things that I cannot figure out, like some resistor color codes that are not obvious, and of course the capacitor markings.

Reply 11 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes ask away!
I know about the tracks in the back, this whole thing is painted dard green over the pcb, this coat of paint was added last!

maybe the only real problem is the code inside the GALS near the ISA connector... is that code known?

Reply 12 of 24, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jepael wrote:

One thing comes to my mind is a PCI card with OPL3 and perhaps digital outputs in addition to superior analog sound performance, but definitely anyone can design an ISA card DIY kit.

The Yamaha YMF-724 chip is a PCI chip that can do all of the above.

maybe the only real problem is the code inside the GALS near the ISA connector... is that code known?

There is no GAL on the Adlib card, those ICs are standard 74 series TTL logic.

Reply 13 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

really? I always thought those chips have some kind of program inside...

Reply 14 of 24, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As said, no program, just standard logic chips.

So far I have gotten this far with the info - had no time to analyze the new pictures yet.

The 74LS109 is a dual JK-flip-flop which is used to divide the 14.318MHz ISA bus OSC signal by 4 for use as the YM3812 Master clock 3.57954MHz.
Frequency is NTSC and can be calculated : 227.5*525*30/1.001. This is further divided internally by 72 to get the OPL2 sampling rate of about 49716 Hz, which every emulator should be producing to get sounds right before further resampling to something else for sound card output.

The 74LS245 is a octal (8-bit) bus buffer, for the data bus. It needs direction and output enable signals to work.

The two 74LS138 chips do the address bus decoding (AEN=0, bus address bits A9..A1 are decoded (addresses 0x388 and 0x389) and a logic low is sent to YM3812 -CS chip select signal and maybe to bus buffer output enable. The ABCD jumpers can be used to select another base port address, but as seen on back, the D jumper is hardwired.

The 74LS04 is a hex inverter, used to buffer some signals:
-IOREADD and -IOWRITE signals from ISA bus are doubly inverted to buffer these signals to YM3812 and perhaps to bus buffer direction control.
Also YM3812 signal -IRQ is inverted as ISA bus has +IRQ signal. The jumpers labeled 2,3,5 select which IRQ signal is used, but no jumper means no IRQ is used on PC. Also ISA bus +RESET signal is inverted for YM3812 -IC (reset, initial clear) pin.

YM3812 is the OPL2 chip. It needs a DAC, Y3014 to convert digital audio to analog. The Y3014 needs a few operational amplifiers to work and buffer some signals, so the RC4136 is a quad op amp.

The LM386 is a kind of power amplifier to drive some small speakers directly. The volume knob propably controls LM386 gain/attennuation and signal comes out of the 6.3mm (1/4"?) connector.

Transistor Q1 may be some kind of muting circuitry so the speakers don't blow up on powerup/powerdown of PC. I have to check this.

That is a quick overview how it works, and a replica could be built with knowing only that info, but just for completeness, the exact connections and component values are nice to know. Knowing what the analog parts do (low pass filter) should help improve emulator quality too.

Building a replica sounds interesting, but I have no idea where to get the original Yamaha chips, other components and chips are perfectly standard stuff. I only know these chips are on Adlibs and SoundBlasters, who in their right mind would disassemble those to build a new replica? Maybe some arcade machines have these chips too. I hope someone can use this info for repairing their sound cards too.

Reply 16 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tannerstevo's card has a different coating on the back side, it is very easy to see the card in his pcs, nice!

Reply 18 of 24, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it says on the card 1987
it is the same model number as this one: http://www.xs4all.nl/~akwaaba/qs/soundstuff/i … /AdLib_1987.jpg

but this one must be old:
http://www.dearhoney.idv.tw/Museum/soundcard-13.php
😉

Reply 19 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting analysis Jepael.

The Nintendo NES has 2-3 74LS04 hex inverter chips, and uses part of one of them as some kind of weird preamplifier stage for the audio (which itself comes from the CPU chip on 2 pins that get mixed together). That was one of the many weird things about the NES audio circuitry that made me abort trying to do a better stereo mod than the crude ones I've seen floating around, since I'm very much an amateur when it comes to electronics (especially analog circuits).