VOGONS

First post, by Hyrune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, my sincerest apologies in advance, but I did search for similar topics and I have noticed DK comes up frequently, but not in relation to this.

The first is a problem I've noted has come up on another section of this forum, concerning black patches above and below the game in full-screen. This may be because of my monitor size, but nothing I do removes these patches. The game looks normal in a smaller window, and strangely the menus etc. are fine in full- or windowed mode. Any thoughts?

The second is a problem with lag. Stuttering lag which has progressively gotten worse, oddly. Should I increase cycle-speed? On a tutorial I found someone suggested DK (typically enough...) reacts badly to this. Sorry, I'm quite new.

Thirdly: Dungeon Keeper Gold includes an expansion of sorts, the Deeper Dungeons. In a rather odd twist, I can get the game working...but it completely lacks text. If you've played the game, it's the iconic blood red writing for menus, info, game summaries, humorous opening script on full-moons... all of that, gone. The game apparently plays fine, it's just somewhat more difficult to navigate through the menu (read: impossible, in places).

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're talking about the Windows ver then the lack of text is an issue with your video drivers. You'll need to disable DirectDraw acceleration, you can do so using DXDIAG.

Try changing the in-game resolution using alt-r and see what that does.

I believe the menu runs in a different resolution than the game your only solution if you are running the Windows version is to play around with your video card driver control panel.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by Hyrune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DXDIAG is a program of some kind, I assume?

ALT+R has no effect, apart from the obvious change in graphical appearance.

Unfortunately I don't think I can mess around with my video card - I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop, the card is generic.

And concerning the game, I personally have just been a fan since the 90s, and have been trying to get it to work on my laptop for some months now, so I can't tell you about it being featured somewhere, if indeed it has...

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even the oldest Intel graphics cards have a video card control panel. If you don't have one then you need to install the graphics drivers for your video card from the laptop manufacturer or the video card manufacturer website.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can usually access your advanced video card settings in WinXP or older by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties, then looking for some kind of Advanced tab.