VOGONS

First post, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings, it's me again here with my retarded Compaq box I wanted to give a hardware upgrade. As I said in this thread, I planned to insert the following:

8 RAM modules, 32MB each
a Hollywood Plus (hardware decoder)
a Voodoo 2 PCI card with 12MB RAM

Now it may come as no surprise, but the upgrade process wasn't flawless. What most annoys me is the result of the RAM upgrade; only half of the 256MB I put in is actually detected. I thought a BIOS update would solve this, so I downloaded some newer versions from the HP website. Strangely enough, the first two packages wouldn't initialize, although the database on hp.com lists them as the newest BIOS versions for the Deskpro 4000 line. The third package I tried was successfully installed, but still only half of the RAM is detected. I know for sure the PC supports 32MB sticks because four of the sticks actually show up as such. The other four, though, don't show up; it seems as though the PC doesn't detect them (while they are certainly in place). Strangely enough, it's slots 5 through 8 that are detected, while 1 through 4 are not.

Here's some version info on the new BIOS (copied from the report I included at the end of this post).
BIOS version: 05/05/1988
Family: G5

On a second note, the install of the voodoo2 succeeded, but the odd thing is that it is listed as a multimedia device, while I had expected it to be listed as a video card, together with the 2MB Cirrus Logic that was already in place. Is there any way to get this PC to do that? Now it's actually not doing anything with the card; the video signal just goes from my Cirrus Logic through the voodoo2, then through the hollywood plus and then to my screen. Besides that, I had hoped the voodoo2 would allow me to choose a higher resolution without losing color depth. The voodoo2 software does include a utility that provides the option of changing resolutions (up to 1280X1024), but whatever I do in that screen, I can't save it! Is there a way to get a voodoo2 to display the desktop in at least 1024X768 resolution/24-bit?? Is there any other way to 'test' whether the voodoo does its job? Or do such cards only generate graphics in 3D applications (games)?

Oh, and the device list keeps mentioning a device called 'Deskpro Thermal Sensor', under 'other detected devices' (it's been doing that for years, though). So, this device could measure the temperature inside the PC? That sounds strange to me as I thought this kind of cpu doesn't support such technology (it's a 133mhz without mmx). I don't think there's a driver installed for this 'Deskpro Thermal sensor' (maybe a generic driver, but that doesn't seem sufficient to get the sensor to work). I googled for 'Deskpro Thermal Sensor', searched for the term on sites such as driverguide.com, but I can't find any info on it, let be a driver that I could download. I'd appreciate some info on this device.

I used a system disk to go into BIOS (after the update) and saved the following report

ROM :
-System ROM
Revision . . . . . . . . . . 05/05/1998
Family . . . . . . . . . . G5
Flashable . . . . . . . . . Yes
Supports F10 partition . . . Yes
Socketed . . . . . . . . . . No

Graphics :
-Graphics Mode . . . . . . . . . 12 (640 x 480 Graphics)
-Primary Monitor attached to . . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
with Video Graphics Color Monitor
-Total Video Memory . . . . . . . 2048 Kbytes

Memory :
-Memory Boards Identified:
System Board
SIMM Slot 1 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 2 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 3 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 4 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 5 (FPM) . . . . . 32 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 6 (FPM) . . . . . 32 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 7 (FPM) . . . . . 32 Megabytes
SIMM Slot 8 (FPM) . . . . . 32 Megabytes
-Total Compaq Memory . . . . . . 128 Megabytes
-Base Memory
System Total . . . . . . . . . 639 Kbytes
Amount Free . . . . . . . . . 580 Kbytes (594144 Bytes)
-Extended Memory
System Total . . . . . . . . . 130048 Kbytes
-Expanded Memory
LIM Driver Support . . . . . . LIM driver not loaded

Reply 1 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the voodoo 2 behaviour, kiwi already answered you in the thread you linked. The Voodoo2 will only be triggered in applications that invoke the glide graphics library. So desktop resolution will not and cannot be affected by a Voodoo 2 - it's purely for accelerating certain types of 3d graphics.

On the 128mb issue - maybe the mobo only supports 128mb, regardless of what you install.

Reply 2 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

On the voodoo 2 behaviour, kiwi already answered you in the thread you linked. The Voodoo2 will only be triggered in applications that invoke the glide graphics library. So desktop resolution will not and cannot be affected by a Voodoo 2 - it's purely for accelerating certain types of 3d graphics.

I considered that possibility, but then why do I get that options tab for the voodoo 2 I mentioned? It's a tab that's added next to the settings tab in the Display Properties menu and contains a slider used to toggle between several resolutions. The strange thing is that I can't save the settings I change. If I choose a different resolution, the 'Apply' button just stays light-grey.

ratfink wrote:

On the 128mb issue - maybe the mobo only supports 128mb, regardless of what you install.

I assume there must be a way to get it to accept 256MB RAM, as I downloaded a manual for the Deskpro 4000 model that mentions that up to 384MB is supported.

Reply 4 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it should look like this:
ps: the slider doesnt change resolution if you just move that slider and not the one underneath as well you havnt changed anything thats why apply is greyed out
the top slider selects resolution and the bottom one selects the refresh rate to use at that resolution
v21.gif

ps: the voodoo 2 does not let you select a resolution of 1280x1024
it is limited to 800x600 in 16bit (1024x768 in the very few games that dont use a zbuffer)

Reply 5 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
it should look like this: ps: the slider doesnt change resolution if you just move that slider and not the one underneath as wel […]
Show full quote

it should look like this:
ps: the slider doesnt change resolution if you just move that slider and not the one underneath as well you havnt changed anything thats why apply is greyed out
the top slider selects resolution and the bottom one selects the refresh rate to use at that resolution

ps: the voodoo 2 does not let you select a resolution of 1280x1024
it is limited to 800x600 in 16bit (1024x768 in the very few games that dont use a zbuffer)

The tab I mean is the one you posted a screenshot of.

I tested some games. Dino Crisis was somewhat playable, but very glitchy (as a result of the 133mhz non-MMX CPU). The Quake II demo, however, worked just fine. Afterwards, I tried both games with the Voodoo2 disabled. Strangely enough, Dino Crisis still worked, although it was the Cirrus Logic generating the graphics. It worked, but the graphics were awful and it was generally even less playable than the first time. Without the Voodoo2 controlling the graphics, Quake II crashed even before it could launch. I assume that means the voodoo2 is recognised by the motherboard and works perfectly.

If my Compaq's motherboard has no problems in recognizing a voodoo2 gpu (which was released maybe two years after my compaq was assembled), doesn't that mean that it should also recognise 256MB of SIMM RAM? (Just my conjecture, but I guess the requirements are about equal) What could I do to make the motherboard accept 256MB RAM? (or, for that matter, any other device or piece of software that doesn't like the other half of my new RAM)

Reply 6 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My old Deskpro 4000 (P200 MMX model) would only accept upto 128mb RAM.

I would not run a Voodoo 2 card with anything less than a 200mhz PC.... these cards do not scale very well with low end CPU's! I would highly recommend using a Voodoo 1 card instead 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

🙁 Strange that the Deskpro 4000/6000 manual should claim up to 384MB RAM is supported when in at least two cases only a third of that number is recognised. No wonder Compaq went bankrupt 🤣.

PowerPie5000 wrote:

I would not run a Voodoo 2 card with anything less than a 200mhz PC.... these cards do not scale very well with low end CPU's! I would highly recommend using a Voodoo 1 card instead 😀

I've been thinking about upgrading the cpu. I bought a 300mhz pentium II on ebay (according to that same Deskpro manual, that's as much as the 4000 model supports), but that was before I realized my Deskpro's motherboard is probably designed to work with a Pentium 1 cpu, and therefore only has a socket 7, while Pentium II cpus only fit in slot 1. I opened the case and didn't see anything that looks like the slot 1 I saw on an image on wikipedia.

Did (some) motherboards in that time contain both a socket 7 and a slot 1, so you could choose to put in either a Pentium 1 or 2? Would my motherboard, by any chance, have both a socket 7 and a slot 1? (maybe I wouldn't recognize a slot 1 if I saw one, so that, maybe, I overlooked it when I opened the Deskpro's case).

If a pentium II is impossible on this motherboard, I'll get a socket 7 cpu like this one on ebay (Pentium 1 233mhz with MMX). Would it fit?

EDIT
@powerpie5000: I just remembered you said in the other thread that my motherboard might not support an MMX cpu, but maybe I could give it a try? Is there a way to find out whether the motherboard (or any other device) would support a cpu like the one in the ebay link?

EDIT #2
Would replacing the cpu mean I have to worry about the power supply and system fan??

Reply 8 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote:
:( Strange that the Deskpro 4000/6000 manual should claim up to 384MB RAM is supported when in at least two cases only a third […]
Show full quote
PowerPie5000 wrote:

🙁 Strange that the Deskpro 4000/6000 manual should claim up to 384MB RAM is supported when in at least two cases only a third of that number is recognised. No wonder Compaq went bankrupt 🤣.

PowerPie5000 wrote:

I've been thinking about upgrading the cpu. I bought a 300mhz pentium II on ebay (according to that same Deskpro manual, that's as much as the 4000 model supports), but that was before I realized my Deskpro's motherboard is probably designed to work with a Pentium 1 cpu, and therefore only has a socket 7, while Pentium II cpus only fit in slot 1. I opened the case and didn't see anything that looks like the slot 1 I saw on an image on wikipedia.

Did (some) motherboards in that time contain both a socket 7 and a slot 1, so you could choose to put in either a Pentium 1 or 2? Would my motherboard, by any chance, have both a socket 7 and a slot 1? (maybe I wouldn't recognize a slot 1 if I saw one, so that, maybe, I overlooked it when I opened the Deskpro's case).

If a pentium II is impossible on this motherboard, I'll get a socket 7 cpu like this one on ebay (Pentium 1 233mhz with MMX). Would it fit?

EDIT
@powerpie5000: I just remembered you said in the other thread that my motherboard might not support an MMX cpu, but maybe I could give it a try? Is there a way to find out whether the motherboard (or any other device) would support a cpu like the one in the ebay link?

EDIT #2
Would replacing the cpu mean I have to worry about the power supply and system fan??

Compaq made different variations of the Deskpro 4000... These were Pentium, Pentium MMX and Pentium II systems. The one i had was a Pentium MMX Deskpro 4000 (5200MMX Model) and your one is most likely a 5133 model.

My Deskpro 4000 only had 2 dimm slots (or it could have been 3 but can't quite remember!) i used 64mb in each giving 128mb total and when i tried more than 128mb it did not see it all.

You will not need a new PSU or CPU fan if you are upgrading your CPU and if your model came with a 133mhz CPU as standard then i doubt the motherboard will support the voltages required for an MMX CPU.... I am pretty sure it will work fine with a 200mhz non MMX CPU.

Hope this helps?

Reply 9 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

You will not need a new PSU or CPU fan if you are upgrading your CPU and if your model came with a 133mhz CPU as standard then i doubt the motherboard will support the voltages required for an MMX CPU.... I am pretty sure it will work fine with a 200mhz non MMX CPU.

Hope this helps?

I understand. Still that would make a difference of only 67mhz... Could it cause any component to overheat or fry if I inserted a 200/233mhz cpu with MMX? Or would the PC just fail to boot if the motherboard didn't support the cpu?

Yes, I do take full responsibility for my ventures, 😁

Reply 10 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Odiseo wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Hope this helps?

I understand. Still that would make a difference of only 67mhz... Could it cause any component to overheat or fry if I inserted a 200/233mhz cpu with MMX? Or would the PC just fail to boot if the motherboard didn't support the cpu?

Yes, I do take full responsibility for my ventures, 😁

MMX processors use a split rail voltage so a P200 MMX would have 3.3V external voltage and 2.8V for the core.... your motherboard needs to support split rail voltages. The only thing that can possibly fry is your MMX CPU if your board does not support it!

EDIT: don't forget to change the CPU jumper configuration before installing a new one! (CPU jumpers or dip switches are found on the motherboard).

Reply 11 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have done a bit of research and it seems that your Compaq Deskpro 4000 (5133 model) will only support upto a 166mhz non MMX CPU and upto 192mb of EDO RAM.... unless of course it is not the 5133 model and someone just put a 133mhz CPU in it??

Reply 12 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

MMX processors use a split rail voltage so a P200 MMX would have 3.3V external voltage and 2.8V for the core.... your motherboard needs to support split rail voltages.

Can I find out whether it supports split rail voltages?

PowerPie5000 wrote:

unless of course it is not the 5133 model and someone just put a 133mhz CPU in it??

Possibly... I don't know, as I bought it second hand, about ten years ago. And the store in question has gone bankrupt about two years ago.

The person who started the following thread claims to have successfully replaced the 133mhz cpu in his deskpro with a 200mhz MMX...
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bi … dSeriesId=96258

And in this thread the person in the second to last post claims that he replaced the 166mhz cpu in his deskpro 4000 with an evergreen spectra 400 (AMD K6-2). And the last poster says a powerleap with a K6-3 cpu is also possible....
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bi … dSeriesId=96258

Maybe the motherboards in their deskpros are of a specific type. I don't know what type my motherboard is, as Belarc or everest can't tell me...

If it's possible, I'd like to insert one of such cpus, as I have already inserted a hardware decoder card that's currently useless because the cpu doesn't support MMX. With an MMX cpu installed, my deskpro would be able to use the decoder to play DVD and MPEG-2. I'd like to see it being able to do that. I'll try the 233mhz MMX first, then maybe the K6-3. If you could help with the jumper settings, that'd be great! Well, I could find the settings on the internet myself, but maybe there are very specific precautions I don't know of?

EDIT
I reconsidered inserting the pentium 233mhz cpu, as you said there's a good chance I'd fry it. On the other hand, I've found several posts and technical documents claiming that powerleap and evergreen upgrade kits with a K6-2 400mhz processor are compatible with motherboards that originally have a 75/100/133/...mhz pentium, as the upgrade kit has its own voltage regulator.... I don't expect the motherboard of a 75mhz pentium to be designed with MMX in mind. So if an evergreen kit can work on such motherboard, I don't suspect my motherboard to be an exception?

EDIT #2
On the edge of my deskpro's cpu socket it says that it's a socket 7.

Reply 13 of 15, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Evergreen and Powerleap adapted processors should work fine but they will cost a bit more and are a bit harder to find these days. If it was me i would just try the MMX CPU and see what happens.... they are very cheap and easy to get on ebay so you would not be losing much if the CPU did go pop 😀

Pentium processors used both socket 5 and socket 7 (very early Pentiums used socket 4 and Pentium Pro's used socket 8 😎). An MMX CPU definitely will not work with a socket 5 motherboard and they only work in socket 7 motherboards. Also some early socket 7 motherboards do not support MMX which may be the case with your one.... I would just try it but thats me! 😁

Reply 14 of 15, by Odiseo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a 233 mhz MMX that should arrive next week at the latest. Maybe I'll try it...

Then again, a seller on ebay offers a spectra 400 for $3.99... I know that's very cheap -- other people sell them for like $40 -- so I distrusted him at first (maybe the thing is broken...). He tried to help me find the required software though after I contacted him (he doesn't have the CD nor the floppies). On the other hand; he or she has zero feedback... I don't know whether I should trust him/her. I'll see what the answer is to my message asking for the condition of the upgrade kit.