VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I'm a retro gamer and collector of old PC and MAC games. I love all the old RPG's like Bards Tale and Ultima series.

I managed to source a Roland MT32 on ebay that works great. I'm wondering if I should get another Roland sound card to cover more games or to get a different more original music sound.

Does anyone have a list of games and which Roland Cards they support? I was thinking of getting a Sound Canvas SC55? Are they any other Roland cards (external) that were supported by the old dos games?

What are your opinions?

Thanks,
Rob

Reply 1 of 7, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a good starter to what gamesd that support the Roland MT32

http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,35/

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you need to try to and get a CM-32L or a CM-64L , they are both MT32 compatible, but have extra sfx (like the internal ISA LAPC-I) that are used in some games (for ex. Ultima Underwold 1 , you can hear footsteps)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the link. So do you think its worth getting another Roland? Or will the MT32 be fine? I'm happy with the MT32 but was thinking maybe there are other games that supported another Roland model and sounded better?

Rob

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See here for an incomplete list of games that support the MT-32 family of synths: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games

There are only a handful of games that use the additional features of the CM-32 or CM-64 versus the MT-32/LAPC-I.

Also, with an MT-32 family synth and a Sound Canvas family synth you should be 100% covered for external MIDI synth support in DOS games.

Personally I have an MT-32 and an SC-88 and am quite happy with both.

Reply 5 of 7, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Niceone, thanks for the reply. I've just found a good offer on a Roland Sound Canvas SC55 MKII. I've been reading and some people say the SC-88 emulates the SC-55 well but not 100%.

Think I'll go for the SC-55 MKII as its in new perfect condition.

Cheers,

Rob

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robbo007 wrote:
Niceone, thanks for the reply. I've just found a good offer on a Roland Sound Canvas SC55 MKII. I've been reading and some peopl […]
Show full quote

Niceone, thanks for the reply. I've just found a good offer on a Roland Sound Canvas SC55 MKII. I've been reading and some people say the SC-88 emulates the SC-55 well but not 100%.

Think I'll go for the SC-55 MKII as its in new perfect condition.

Cheers,

Rob

The SC-88 has an SC-55 MkII 100% compatibility mode, although that's not the default. I've played with both modes and they do sound slightly different. I haven't noticed anything sounding off in any games.

The SC-55MkII is probably ideal though if you found a good one. Go for it!

ih8registrations wrote:

You mean cm-32l/cm-64/lapc-i vs mt-32.

Probably, I have no experience with the LAPC-I 😊