VOGONS

First post, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way for get dosbox to print the names with its real case instead of converting everything to uppercase.

Because, when using gcc, one must supply the real case of the file to compile..

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 22, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out what I was doing wrong.

DosBox does convert all chars to uppercase but gcc accepts it, as long as the extension is not uppercase.

For example, gcc prog1.c , gcc PROG1.c does not yield any error, but, gcc prog1.C does yield a error. I was getting this because I was using the tab to complete the remaining of the filename. So, I just have to remember to change the extension to lower case.

However, my question still remains, as I would like to know if there is (or isn't) a way to turn the default uppercase for all chars.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe if you'd posted in the right forum. Imo pretty stupid to post "anyone"
one hour after another posting.

FAT is uppercase and DOS case insensitive so if gcc requires lowercase
then their dos port (wherever that comes from) is broken.

Reply 4 of 22, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey. Thanks for your reply. No need to get personal... Btw, the post before was from 13 hours ago, not 1 (pm not am).

What do you mean that the dos port is broken?

As you have already noticed I am quite a noob and I thought this was the best section to post, since it seems that it is not, any moderator please move it to the appropriate section.

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 22, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have managed to compile succesfully with gcc in dosbox however, I always have to change the extension from .C to .c, otherwise it won't work.

So, there's no way around making dosbox display filenames in original case, since the dos itself is always uppercase? That's correct?

Btw, are you really the dosbox author?

Thanks again for your help.

Reply 7 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Btw, are you really the dosbox author?

s/the/a

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 22, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there are more than one, I was just wondering if wd was the "main" one, as it would be kind of "not very cool" to read sarcastic comments from the person I yesterday made a donation for its work. Anyway...

Back to the topic: There's no way around making dosbox display filenames in original case, since the dos itself is always uppercase?

Reply 12 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The "DOSBox author" title is just a bit lost in translation

This comes not from me.

"not very cool" to read sarcastic comments from the person I yesterday made a donation for its work.

No worries, i don't get that money.

There's no way around making dosbox display filenames in original case, since the dos itself is always uppercase?

No. Does gcc work in msdos?

Reply 14 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guess simplest method would be to download and modify DOSBox source and switch it to lowercase on creation of files to work around GCC's case sensitivity.

or run MS-DOS in DOSBox on an HD image and use GCC there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In fact I am using djgpp which uses gcc. And as I have mentioned in a previous post it does work, as long as I make sure to rename the extension from .C to .c

I don't see anything about you trying this in msdos. So unless you try it you
don't know if gcc works at all for what you're trying to do.

Reply 17 of 22, by nunos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@wd:
what I am trying to do is to have dosbox filenames in "real" case, instead of all uppercase...

@DosFreak:
That might work but to modify the source code, I am sure I won't be able to do it.. 😵

@robertmo:
Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant.Wouldn't you mind explaining? Thanks.

Reply 18 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

what I am trying to do is to have dosbox filenames in "real" case

real case (without ") is uppercase. That's how dos works.
And there's nothing wrong with dosbox or gcc, it works plain fine except that
gcc has the limitation of using lowercase extension only.

There's no way in dosbox to output lowercase file extensions on tab completion
so you'd have to hack that in yourself.

Reply 19 of 22, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nunos wrote:

@robertmo:
Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant.Wouldn't you mind explaining? Thanks.

Just some funny dosbox bugs showing that dosbox is able to differ lower case and upper case. Nothing useful 😉