VOGONS

Virtual PC sound emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread, but after a bit of search, I decided to settle this here.

My problem concerns ultima underworld under virtual pc Dos 6.22 installed.

I added the "magical line" in autoexec.bat :

set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 t6

All the old games like blood work like a charm, but ultima says it couldn't detect a sound hardware and suggests, that if I use a different irq, I should run uwsound.exe.

After runnin uwsound.exe, I get a message, that there are no sound hardware, I should run install.exe....(which I had run earlier)

This is an interesting error. Again, sorry if this is the wrong thread, I trust the admin to move it if necessary. Thanks in advance.

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I tried Dosbox, it runs almost perfectly, but it slows down a bit ( even after ctrl+f12) I'm interested in running it under virtual pc, that is why I posted this here, and not in dosbox games...

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox is far more compatible with old DOS games than Virtual PC is. Virtual PC's emphasis is old applications while that of DOSBox's is games. On top of that, VPC's support for operating systems earlier than 98 has been dropped. See How to speed up DOSBox (by robertmo and mirekluza) for information on how to speed up DOSBox for specific games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers