VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Here's the situation. I have a Hammerhead FX, which I think is an awesome controller for console ports like Resident Evil 2: Platinum, not to mention emulated games. The problem is it plugs into an old-fashioned gameport. I'm wondering if I could use it on a modern PC with a converter (I'm aware I'd probably have to install it as a generic controller with some of its bells and whistles missing, but honestly, I don't mind as long as I can still use the D-Pad and the buttons).

So I was wondering if such a thing exists and if so, where can I get it.

Barring that, if there's a modern controller which is just as good. I've seen a lot that are vaguely shaped like Playstation controllers and have retractable cords, but I don't like those things--the D-Pad is too loose.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were GamePort - USB dongles for the SideWinder series of Microsoft controller, but I don't know whether they are universal.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Come on, use google or in that case just look at Amazon... There are a couple of hits for "gameport usb"....

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

huh?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I gave up years ago trying to find a USB adapter for my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro v1. The proprietary nature of what it did over the gameport made it impossible to emulate the force feedback part without custom a custom USB conversion.

I read a rumor years ago someone was trying to make one, but that was abandoned.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 8 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most USB-gameport converters are "generic" ones. They support two 2 axis 2 buttons joysticks, and they convert them to USB HID devices... that's fine for gamepads with 4 buttons, but not for joysticks that decode the signals (i.e.: Microsoft Sidewinder, most Logitech Joysticks and most joysticks with more than 4 buttons).

Think about that before buying.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

might be able to install a SB card with a game port. then use it soley for the game port.

This was my idea. Probably cheaper to pick up a used PCI sound card with gameport anyway. You don't need a rare or top of the line model, just a generic one with basic gameport functionality and you can get those for a few bucks.

Reply 10 of 16, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the whole "plug an old soundcard into the computer" thing works, I could probably just use my old computer's soundblaster 16.

Problem with that being that it fits into an ISA slot... and a lot of computers don't use that anymore....

So the problem with a Gameport -> USB converter would be that I would only have four unique buttons and a D-pad, right?

Reply 11 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hammerhead has 12-14 buttons, I don't think that would work. It's also not a generic device, it relies on specially made device drivers for it

http://www.falconfly.de/hammerhead.htm

A modern PC would need to use the USB variant instead, and you're better off with finding that than converting the gameport version to a failure anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 16, by retroplayusb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know these exist because recently i bought a converter that converted old PC game pads that used the gameport into USB.

basically it had a slot for the gamepad and on the other end was a usb port.
It even had a swith for PC Gamepad,Steering Wheel,or Joystick.

If i remember correctly I got this from The Source/Radio Shack.

then when i used it i didn't need to install any drivers since it was USB

Reply 13 of 16, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, better question:

Is there such a thing as an "extension cord" for Gameports?

Here's the new situation: My old PC is fixed, so I can play either DOS games or Windows games. For Windows games (emulators mostly), I greatly prefer the Hammerhead. But for DOS games, you pretty much have to use the Gravis Gamepad.

I only have one gameport though, and its in back of the computer. So its a hassle to switch them out.

Any suggestions?

Reply 14 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Install another gameport, install the usb2gameport adapter...

Reply 15 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EdmondDantes wrote:

Is there such a thing as an "extension cord" for Gameports?

Of course. It would probably go by "DB15 extension" or "DA15 extension". You could even get a manual switchbox if you really wanted to.

EdmondDantes wrote:

For Windows games (emulators mostly), I greatly prefer the Hammerhead. But for DOS games, you pretty much have to use the Gravis Gamepad.

Have you tried SDWRGMPD already? Might be worth a shot.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's still no such thing as a USB gameport adapter that allows all the functionality of an actual gameport on a PCI card, right?

I need to get a new motherboard and I'm actually sort of tempted to stick with something with a PCI slot so I can keep using my old gamepads. (I gather there's no such thing as a PCIe card with a gameport either, right?)