VOGONS

First post, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. I need some advice on what card to use for one of my retro rigs.

I have the following to choose from:

ISA
Sound Blaster 16 (CT2290 with CT1748 chip)
Sound Blaster 32PNP (CT3220 no ram)
Generic ALS100 Plus card

PCI
Videologic SonicStorm (ESS Maestro1)
Zoltrix Nightingale CMI8738
Sound Blater Live! (CT4670)

Waiting to arrive:
Sound Blaster 32 AWE with RAM and DB50XG
Diamond Monster MX300

Have my eye on a Miro Sound PCM20.

Can you tell me what is the best one for DOS games? Lucasarts mainly. Thanks.

Reply 6 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, since the AWE cards are not GM compatible in Hardware you stick better to the DB50XG.
DB50XG has also a higher quality wavetable playback on average.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All AWE32's and all SB16's later then the 17XX series have troubles with midi daughterboards. Try them all and see which one behaves best. You can use the games Hexen (Level 2) or Tie-Fighter as a stress test. Also Soundblasters with real OPL3 FM chips are more desirable then the ones with OPL3 clones. The AWE midi synth is only usefull when playing dos games from the windows 9X dos prompt, as only then it will allow for the usage of Soundfonts.

PS. are you the one that outbid my 3,5 british pounds for the AWE+XG a few days ago? 😉

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 15, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, i must confess. It was me. 😉 So finding a good SB is like lottery... I can't find old stuff were i live (Portugal), so UK ebay is my first option. I'll try to find one card below CT17XX. Thanks.

Reply 10 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We've had the debate about what's the absolute best sound card for a retro rig over and over and the answer is always the same. There is none. Period. There were too many competing standards then that were incompatible with each other that you'll never be able to have it all in one card. The best thing you can do is go through your retro game collection and determine which standards will be compatible with the games you play the most and try to find a card that supports as many of them as possible. Your ideal card could turn out to be very different from someone else's depending on what games/software you intend to use with it.

Reply 11 of 15, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is why i mentioned LucasArts games... I am currently using a SB 64 AWE Gold with a Roland SC-155, but Monkey Island 1, 2, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (for example) do not sound right...

Reply 12 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:

That is why i mentioned LucasArts games... I am currently using a SB 64 AWE Gold with a Roland SC-155, but Monkey Island 1, 2, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (for example) do not sound right...

Well that isn't surprising considering you have a Roland Sound Canvas (General Midi) whereas these games support Roland MT-32.

And the AWE64 Gold doesn't have a genuine Yamaha OPL chip.

So in a way your choice of sound card / midi module couldn't have been worse for these games 🤣

Your sound card / midi module is perfect for later generation DOS games. Basically anything that supports Roland Sound Canvas / General Midi + SB16 for speech / sound effects.

Also there is little point in obtaining that Yamaha module if you already own a Roland Sound Canvas. Unless you want another one General Midi module and are interested / prefer how it sounds.

For older games such as the Lucasarts games you mentioned I recommend a Roland MT-32 and a Soundblaster or compatible card with a genuine Yamaha OPL chip. I'm quite fond of the Soundblaster Pro 2.0 though a SB16 with genuine Yamaha OPL will also do.

Reply 13 of 15, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought a Sound Blaster Pro 2. Still waiting for it.
I have a CT1740 SB16 with a real Yamaha OPL chip but has hanging notes bug.
As for the MT-32 i'm finding rather difficult to get one...
I do have a Roland RAP-10, but didn't do much testing yet and i think it's not better than SC-155.

Reply 14 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the new avatar 😁

MT-32s pop up on eBay quite often. And sometimes other retro people sell or trade some of their goodies. It's just a matter of time!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel