VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i found my old pc with windows me,i reisntalled the os again,verything worfs fine..except the midi in dos games.if i play a midi fil in windows,it works fine,but if i shoose,for example,to start a dos game,i can't hear any midi song,and if start theier respective setup\setsound,and i choose sound blaster (my actual sound card,which i already installed all the drivers etc)as midi,and then chose to play a test file,i get the "playing test music now"but i can't hear a thing.the volume for the midi is all up,i don't knwo where i could get some generic dos drivers.any help?

Reply 3 of 7, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SB PCI-128, the game MUST support General MIDI for it to work. Make sure you have the driver installed, make sure it's seeing the ECW file, and set the game to GENERAL MIDI at port 330 for the MIDI to work.

The SB PCI-128 HAS NO FM SYNTH, so you're stuffed if you come across a game that has only has ADLIB/OPL support. The card had basic MT-32 emulation, but a real MT-32 will blow it out of the water.

Reply 4 of 7, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes the drivers is installed,in windows at least.there's a folder on the driver's cd called dosdrivers,there some drivers inside(ini files etc) but no setup or other .exe files,or any other way to install them from windows.how am i suppsoed to install them from dos?

Reply 5 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's DOS for you 😀

Do you know your way around autoexec.bat and config.sys?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zaxxon wrote:

yes i do,what line do i have to add to autoexec or config?

Definitely the usual SET BLASTER line, but I believe also another line pointing to the folder where the DOS Sound Blaster drivers are located.

Could you copy paste what files are in the folder (the DOS Sound Blaster drivers) please? Then maybe I can point you in the right direction!

Also note that you will need EMS memory.