VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking about buying one of those to use with some old systems (486 with ET4000, Pentium MMX with S3) and, due to lack of space, with my "main PC" and laptop (through DVI and HDMI).

Has anyone tested it? Would it be compatible with older systems? Will it work nicely with my newer PCs , or would it be better keep my Philips TFT to work with them?

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: Extreme testing (i.e.: VGA Mode-X) would be useful... I thing any monitor is capable of 640x480, but things like 320x360 are rarer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am no expert on this subject, but page 68 of the manual gives the available display modes -

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/ … -00785A-Eng.pdf (See image below)

Are these all of the scaling modes you are likely to need? I notice there's no 1280x1024. I was thinking of getting a Dell U2410. The display modes are listed on the following webpage. It has more modes, including 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. Just something to bear in mind...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITOR … en/ug/about.htm (2/3rds the way down)

Attachments

• lcd.png
    Filename
    lcd.png
    File size
    35.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That are the "official"modes. Most monitors will do 320x200, 640x400 (old CGA, EGA and VGA modes), but I'm worried about Mode X and those things.

I was thinking about Pinball Fantasies (I'm pretty sure it used strange resolutions) and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (my favourite resolution was something like 512x384).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 3, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's better to stick with CRT monitors for old PC's. Quite a few TFT/LCD monitors will not support 320x200 or 320x240 and even if they did, it will look crap! Non native resolutions on TFT/LCD monitors usually look horrible compared to CRT's.