VOGONS

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using the Roccat Kone mouse for a while and when it's working I rather like it. However, I recently did a clean install and found that the mouse was completely unresponsive. I had to attach a different mouse to proceed with installing the operating system. Once I was able to install the drivers the Kone mouse started working again.

This seems like it would be a critical flaw for this product. Roccat products are marketed for competition gamers. People who I imagine would regularly build or modify systems. How does Roccat expect someone to install the drivers to get the mouse to work prior to getting the mouse to work so they can install the drivers.

Roccat's support took 3 days to response. They said I should deinstall the driver. When I had emailed them I couldn't finish installing the OS in order for there to be a driver so I doubt they actually read it.

Does any use other Roccat products?
What's your opinion of the company?

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting but I don't think you "need" a mouse to install an OS. Keyboard alone should be fine!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a dialog box which I needed to click OK for. I think it was when Windows XP first adjusts appearance for the monitor. Following that is the setup for the user name. I had to click on that box, enter didn't work and I couldn't tab to select it.

Reply 3 of 4, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only recently returned to PC gaming after not owning a machine for a number of years. I built my gaming PC a few months ago and chose to go with a Razer mouse. I picked the Abyssus as it was available in my local store and it looked cool, but sensible. My first choice would have been a good wired Logitech, but no one in my town stocks any. I think the G5, or 518 are probably still the best rodents for gaming out there (personal preference of course). My love affair with logitech mice started with the MX300 which is still one of the best Quake 3 mice, but now unavailable.

I saw some Roccat products at PC world when I bought my Abyssus, but I had never heard of them so stayed away. I once had a Razer Boomslang (the first one, that Fatality used and endorsed way back in 2000). Although they aren't made to the quality of the original Boomslang, Razer cannot really make a bad mouse without commiting commercial suicide, so I chose the Abyssus and am happy with it.

I did however buy a Roccat mousemat (along with a Razer Sphex which I am using now). The mousemat came in a tube and was a good 10cm x 10cm bigger than the (pretty large) Sphex. It's like a giant Allsop, which is by no means a bad thing. Very smooth and responsive surface and size overkill. So as regards to mats, they are on the money, but I've since read lots of reviews and it seems their mice are overpriced and not that great. G5, 518 or even MX510 are the best mice and cheaper than a Roccat, so it's a no brainer.

Also, I have yet to duel someone on Quake Live who uses a Roccat.... 😒

EDIT : I have reinstalled XP 3 times since the build, and the mouse works fine in setup. Even with DPI switches. 😎

Reply 4 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After several more email with Roccat support they now believes that a hardware defect is possible and I should exchange my mice. However an exchange with Roccat is not possible so I should exchange them at the store where they were purchased. I bought them online several months ago so that is also not possible.

What a useless company!