VOGONS

Reply 60 of 151, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The boards look great, though personally I would prefer a lot of different boards to play with, rather than the same board three times.

Reply 61 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The boards look great, though personally I would prefer a lot of different boards to play with, rather than the same board three times.

Ha! Ha! But at 3 for the price of 1, maybe I could Buy 3 get 1 free plus some cash. 😉

Reply 62 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had scoped these 2 out yesterday, but they were snapped up quickly...

Asus P5A-B

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=190501294678

FIC 503+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=190495566092

Reply 63 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice that they come with K6-III's. Those are kinda hard to find. Even the mobiles appear easier to get then the standard K6-III's.
Only drawback about the ones in your listing is they appear to be 2.4v ones. The 2.2v ones generate a lot less heat, but that's just details 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 64 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question:

If I get one of those FIC 503+ boards, which have a AT form factor, could I use it in an AT Case, like the one I posted earlier in the thread, and what other issues would that involve as far as other hardware....or is there no real hardware issue with regards to hard drives, CDs and DVDs and so on and so forth. I gess besides the Power Supply.

Reply 65 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I understand, ATA 66 is backwards compatible with ATA 33.

Researching Drive Interfaces. I guess you can always get a PCI or ISA interface card for compatibility if the mobo doesnt support the drive, FWIU.

Last edited by EscapeVelocity on 2011-02-17, 02:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main issue with AT and newer hardware is that AT cases have very bad cooling. I wouldn't consider using an AT case in combination with a K6-III AHX and a Voodoo.

Edit:Oh, and you're gonna be needing brackets, for mouse, USB, etc.

Reply 67 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that about the mouse and I/O brackets.

Im not looking to run hot chips, Im not looking for a hot rod, in fact I would probably replace the cpu if I got these, back to a common K-6.

I just thought it would be cool to have an older style AT case....for that old skool look.

Reply 68 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Learnin' all about Hard Drive Interfaces...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive#Acces … _and_interfaces

Im basically looking for ATA, EIDE, IDE stuff.....going backwards in term usage, but also used concurently.

Reply 71 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, if it were available to me I'd definitely bid on it.
Only got 1 K6-III non-plus 🤣. Fortunately it's the AFX variety 😀

Btw, I'm not sure if the standard K6 is that much more cool then the K6-III's
Maybe better go with a Pentium? Or a mobile K6-X

Reply 72 of 151, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good buy, not so good as Asus P5A, but still good.

If you are still looking for parts, i might have somethig for you. Just check my signature post.

Beside i'll have a 486 motherboard with cpu, ide controller, vesa graphic card, ram, sound card, etc. for sale.

Reply 73 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading about the EPoX MVP3G board, the easy jumpers are appealing for me.

Im a bit confused though, the G2 board pics have the color coded I/O connections, and the G board pics have mono-chrome I/O connections.

Also, I cant see the South Bridge nomenclature in the pics to tell whats what. But the pics are showing dip switches and not jumpers for the voltage selection.

Anadtech said...

EPoX MVP3G2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/369

Due to the complexity of voltage selection options made available on the G2 (in contrast to the MVP3G-M), the single jumper setting had to be replaced with a five switch dip-switch placed next to the ATX power supply connector. The switches are all easy to set and aren't a pain to deal with at all, however a step in the jumperless direction would have definitely been desired.

Here is the EPoX MVP3G-M for comparison...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/232

Furthermore, if you look at the 4th biggest chips on the board at Anandtech, the ones I purchased only seem to have 1 and not a pair. What are those?

256k ram doesnt make a whole lot of sense either, is that the L2 cache? The chip says EliteMT....and the empty slot says 128k.

How many SD-RAM sticks are in each motherboard? I hope he doesnt remove those...Ill be pissed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 77 of 151, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The size / speed / cacheable area is irrelevant if you are using a K6 with on-chip Cache. That on-chip Cache has no limitations and is much much faster than the mainboard cache.

For compatibility I would get PC100 SDRAM.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 78 of 151, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EscapeVelocity wrote:
What should I get, if the RAM doesnt pan out? […]
Show full quote

What should I get, if the RAM doesnt pan out?

PC100
PC133

128MB sticks
256MB sticks
512MB sticks

Escape, could you please try to edit your posts instead of posting lots of tiny ones?
The edit button is the really small one on the top right of your post

PC133 of course. And as I'm not sure what chip density will work on ss7 boards, your safest bet would be to get 256MB double sided ones.
Theres no compelling reason to go for PC100, it's just binned down PC133 anyway.
Get PC133 in case you ever want to overclock. Also you can set the cas latency to 2 instead of 3. Small bonus, but if it's the same efford, why not? Right?

Reply 79 of 151, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The size / speed / cacheable area is irrelevant if you are using a K6 with on-chip Cache. That on-chip Cache has no limitations and is much much faster than the mainboard cache.

For compatibility I would get PC100 SDRAM.

The problem as I see it, is if I would like to change out the cpus to a K6-2 or a Pentium MMX, right? Then 1MB Pipeline Burst Cache is ideal in these Super7 era systems....certainly better than 512k or 256k.

Last edited by EscapeVelocity on 2011-02-17, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.