VOGONS

Sound card help

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by munky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, no stereo sounds for Wolf3D with the SB16. Not sure if I like that.

Will a SB Pro 2 do stereo for Wolf3D or does it have to be an SB Pro?

Maybe I'll pick up an SB 16 for the more modern games and an SB Pro 2 if it'll work in stereo with Wolf3D.

Reply 21 of 23, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've used the following: generic SB 16 PnP, AWE32 CT-3900 pimped out with full RAM, Roland SC-55, Roland MT-32 for Sierra Games, and I recently grabbed a Gravis Ultrasound 2.4 last week off ebay. I gotta try that one out. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 22 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
munky wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help. I've elected to go with the CT2800, as it does have the OPL3 chip.

No luck on finding a Roland SCC-1, though. I guess I'll just have to wait on that. Thanks again!

You may be waiting a long time for a Roland. They don't appear very often and when they do they sell for high prices. Everybody in this hobby wants one and quite a few are willing to overpay to get it. I've extended my search globally and had a few more chances at one, but there's always somebody with more money than I can spend who finds it eventually.

Reply 23 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two sides to this argument.

I do prefer the SC-55 because it's a external unit, and it can be used with DOSBox and has a cool LCD display.

However, the SCC-1 comes with 100% Roland MPU401 intelligent-mode MIDI interface, which allows you to drive a MT-32.

So when bidding for a SCC-1, consider that it will save you bidding for a MPU401AT or similar Roland MIDI interface. Considering how much these go for, the SCC-1 isn't THAT expensive...