VOGONS

First post, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I finally got around to making (another) SPDIF out for my AWE64 Gold, and things are not working as I remember they used to. Years ago now I set it up with a different SPDIF bracket I had built and it output both FM and MIDI via the SPDIF output. The OS was the same (WIN98 SE), and the drivers were the same (what came with 98 + the update download from Creative's site). The amp was even the same. The only thing that's different now is this is a new bracket because I couldn't find my old one, and I also have all of the creative utilities installed so I can use soundfonts.

I also uhm... bent one of the chips on the board. Twisted it side ways really when trying to remove some heatsinks. See, back in the early 2000's when I got the A64, I epoxied heat sinks on it (and man they aren't even on there straight, my modding skills sucked back then), and they were in the way of my simconn memory expansion unit. The card worked fine though and I had blocked off the contacts with silicone before I put the sinks on it, so the contacts were not shorted. The card works fine and I didn't damage the SPDIF out chip (it's the tiny one next to the port right).

I think I've got a mixer problem. I actually did get a second A64 Gold because I bought it for a song, and because I needed a card I could install the expansion module on. I'll re test the spdif bracket with it, but I don't expect it to work any better.

Any suggestions as to how to get this working? Is the Awe64 software somehow messing up my SPDIF out? I hope not, as the audio with the SPDIF out sounds absolutely incredible.

Reply 2 of 5, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AdamP wrote:

I thought the AWE32/64 only did MIDI via SPDIF anyway? It says so on the copy of their website that's on the AWE64 Gold CD.

Interesting. I thought only some AWE32's were MIDI only via SPDIF, but some were MIDI+FM, and all of the AWE64's were MIDI+FM via SPDIF.

Without Creative's drivers, the Windows drivers must have some sort of crazy mixer integrated into them that allowed FM via SPDIF. I know I had it set up that way as I even had a SPDIF to Toslink adapter double stick taped to the back of the machine in question (just for fun factor, I had spare spdif ports on my amp). Like I said though, that was around 5 years ago, I can't remember the exact driver configuration I had at the time.

I'm rebuilding the machine in a few days (or whenever the dang upgraded mobo comes in the mail, it's been a week already)! The install process automagically installs the Windows drivers first. I'll test it then. The thing is though, without the AWE apps, there are no sound fonts, and it sounds 1 million times better via analog with sound fonts than with SPDIF and no sound fonts. The SPDIF is just louder (and quite a bit at that). I'm not using crap cable either.

Reply 3 of 5, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

both FM and AWE-MIDI will come through s/pdif. that's also why practically only 30 voices are available for the emu-8000

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4 of 5, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schlang wrote:

both FM and AWE-MIDI will come through s/pdif. that's also why practically only 30 voices are available for the emu-8000

I'm not crazy then. I used to get both out of the Awe64, and now I don't. What is causing this madness?

I've now tested two different Awe64 gold cards and only gotten MIDI out of them.

Reply 5 of 5, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have you tried it with the DIAGNOSE.EXE program from creative yet?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532