VOGONS

First post, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a nice v2.4 ISA Ultrasound card. What kind of boggles my mind is the size of the speaker mini-jack on the rear of the card! I assumed it would be a regular 3.5" TSR cable like those used on a Sound Blaster, headphones, or regular audio devices. I use one that connects both cards, so I can have a Midi function from the Ultrasound with a SB for digital sound. But the end of the jack I inserted into the "line out" port of the Ultrasound feels kind of- loose, for lack of a better term. I also get a little bit of static or popping if the cable is jarred. Am I using the wrong size? It almost seems like the Gravis card has holes that are just barely the wrong size. I got the card off ebay, so it didn't come with any cables.

My line in/out cable looks like one of these on both ends:
audio_jack.png

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 2 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, I'll snap a few with my phone later tonight (My Optiplex is in a dank, dark "cave" ie: under my desk at home)

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 3 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My GUS classic doesn't have this problem, so I'd wager that a previous owner has been a little rough with inserting/removing cables and has loosened the connector a bit.
It shouldn't be a major problem to remove the jack and solder on a new one if you were so inclined.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both of my classic GUS have the same problem, they just used crappy 3.5mm jacks on these cards. I solved it by bending the contacts inside the jacks a little, so they can "grip" the plug better.

Reply 5 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the delay. Here are the images, my phone camera isn't that great...

The stereo plug
Image0155.jpg

The ports, AWE 32 being the "top" one and the Ultrasound below
Image0154.jpg

Another shot...
Image0153.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmrydholm wrote:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/ebondefender/Gravis%20Ultrasound/Image0155.jpg […]
Show full quote

Image0155.jpg

LMFAO, that cable mess looks awfully familiar!!! 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Tetrium
🤣, you should have seen the 29 year old wiring harness of my car ('82 DeLorean)

I actually had the cords semi-organized, but I pulled the Optiplex case up so it would be in the light. All the cords were still inserted so I kind of dragged everything into a pile. It's next to an Asus AMD system running XP, so they share the wire mess. Then I started tangling my mice and keyboards up, went under the table a few times and everything went thpppbbbt! 😜

Reply 9 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the photo! I may try that once I add in some 3dfx cards and have the riser pulled out to install everything. Hope I don't run out of slots...I wonder if I can cram an Optiplex GX+ riser in there? Has more PCI/ISA slots.