VOGONS

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to verify the subject of research elsewhere which has given confusing and contradictory information in google...

The Radeon 8500 TruForm tesselation patches, my understanding is this existed in the hardware through the X850, and was removed for the X1xxx series (X1300 and later).. is this correct? If one wants to play TruForm games in best quality, that would make like an X850 XT the target card for the best possible experience?

My understanding is TruForm support was removed from later driver packs and one would have to track down earlier drivers... does anyone know what the last driver to support it would be?

I also heard a confusing claim that said the 8500 supported TruForm in hardware, but the X850 emulates it in software, so that the 8500 is actually faster... is this random internet idiocy or is this actually true? 😜 My sole goal is putting together a "Best possible" TruForm gaming system at some future time (it would do more than that, but this is it's design goal I mean) and so I want to know whether my shopping list needs to include an 8500, or whether the X850 I have on hand will actually play it best of all given the right driver.

I assume there are no wrappers ie like with GLIDE to run TruForm on newer cards, and no projects or interest since it's only a handful of games with mixed results? 😜

Reply 1 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only R200 (R8500, FGL 8700, FGL 8800, R9100) supports Truform completely in hardware. RV250 and newer chips emulate it by vertex shader and CPU, and it tends to be problematic. I was a 8500 owner during those days, and then had 9700 and had crashes/BSODs with its truform "support".

You probably want a Radeon 8500 128MB for the best Truform possibilities.

Reply 2 of 12, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm okay thank you for that information.. what of those other cards in the series (8700 8800 9100), would any of them run it comparably?

Is there any further information on how buggy it was? With only a handful of TruForm games if a newer card ran that particular game well that may be good enough... I was assuming even an emulated version on X850 would be faster. 😜 Which games did you attempt/experience crashes in with your 9700?

Reply 3 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Radeon 8500 128MB that doesn't have "LE" in its name is the fastest R200 board. It should run 275 MHz on both RAM and GPU.

If you want more information on problems, I suggest you dig into the Beyond3D forum with a search. Maybe Rage3D as well. I don't remember the quirks anymore, just that using Truform caused crashes for me with 9700.

Reply 4 of 12, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for that lead, I see there are multiple discussions on the topic at Beyond3D. 😀 Though it sounds like an 8500 will be added to the shopping list as the most direct solution to the problem.

Reply 5 of 12, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never even knew there was a 128MB version of 8500 radeon. Back at the time I had the 64mb version and was happy about it. And about trueform - I know I saw it in demos and in Wolfenstein. What else supported it?

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Morrowind has unofficial support and it can be enabled with FPS Optimizer.

Serious Sam

Unreal Engine 2 supports it but I don't recall a game using it.

....maybe there's a list somewhere

Reply 8 of 12, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

from wiki:

Counter-Strike (ati_subdiv "2.0", ati_npatch "1.0")
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Quake (TruQuake Patch)
Quake 2 (TruQuake2 Patch)
Unreal Tournament (TruUT Patch)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (unofficially, with the FPS Optimizer [2])
Madden NFL 2004
Bugdom
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Serious Sam
Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 (must edit the game's ".ini" file and set "UseNPatches=True")
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Command & Conquer: Renegade
Neverwinter Nights (must edit the game's ".ini" file and set "Enable Truform=1")

---
The list doesn't seem to be complete. For instance there was some patch or mod to allow Truform on Unreal Classic as well. (either working with the curvedsurfaces which were supported innately in earlier versions or enabling it in later versions)

Reply 10 of 12, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep in mind with later cards that Catalyst 5.8 is the final version to support TRUFORM at all. ATI themselves dropped it with 5.9 onward.

It's probably because it was ATI-exclusive that it never caught on. Shame, since we could've used tessellation back then more than we could use it now, what with today's models being quite high-poly already.

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, from what I understand, Truform is very similar to something called n-patches and NV supported that.

I think this sort of tessellation didn't last because it was not a very useful feature for some reason. Maybe it's not flexible enough. Modern tessellation hardware is far more powerful but developers are still largely ignoring it. We'll see what happens when all consoles have support too...

Reply 12 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the Catalyst 5.8 is the last with the Truform support... So, the Radeon Xxxx series is also the Truform-ready.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).