VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I recently stumbled upon this board since I've recently become obsessed (for no apparent reason other than nostalgia) with building one of my old-school gaming machines.

My first system (that I didn't build) was a Gateway 2000 P5-75 tower system. At the time (1995-1996) I was obsessed with general midi-based games, and I made sure to order this with the Ensoniq SoundScape S-2000 wavetable ISA sound card.

I'd love to be able to find this, but I've tried eBay, Craigslist, etc to no avail. Does anyone have a part #, or perhaps no where I can find one of these awesome cards?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They show up on ebay occasionally but you can't do a really specific search because sellers don't usually know what they have.

Look for "Ensoniq ISA" or just plain "Ensoniq" in the computer components category and browse.

There was a S2000 on there for months but it appears to be gone now. They come and go.

Reply 2 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I've been doing with my saved searches. I found some sites (outside of eBay) with Ensoniq ISA part numbers, but they have no pictures and are just labeled as "Ensoniq ISA Sound Card." I guess I'm trying to find the exact part number for the S-2000 to see if any of my findings match up.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look in my old Ensoniq thread. Photos.
Ensoniq Soundscape resources (manuals, files, links, help)

The original Soundscape "S-2000" is labeled S2016. S2016-II is Soundscape II / Soundscape Elite.

Reply 4 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought one of these a few weeks ago in eBay, 30 USD's so not too expensive:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370513827918?ssPag … #ht_5524wt_1396

It does have the CD interfaces, not sure why but it wasnt a concern for me, I just want it for it's external MPU-401 port.

I'm thinking the Elite would be much harder to come by, but I like the look of that fancy daughter board.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:
I bought one of these a few weeks ago in eBay, 30 USD's so not too expensive: […]
Show full quote

I bought one of these a few weeks ago in eBay, 30 USD's so not too expensive:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370513827918?ssPag … #ht_5524wt_1396

It does have the CD interfaces, not sure why but it wasnt a concern for me, I just want it for it's external MPU-401 port.

I'm thinking the Elite would be much harder to come by, but I like the look of that fancy daughter board.

I believe that is the auction I noticed awhile back too. It had been running for months.

I found a Soundscape auction labeled as an ISA I/O card years ago. You never know how incompetent sellers will label stuff.

The Elite cards will be more rare because they didn't get used in OEM machines or relabeled in CD kits AFAIK. Elite and S2000 have different samples and I wouldn't say either is superior. Some people preferred the older card's less intense percussion. It depends on the music.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-04-05, 17:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's not an S-2000, it's the Opus. Check this picture from Wikipedia, it looks identical to me.

The S-2000 is a full-length card anyway, much longer than the Opus.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 10 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are OEM-only cards AFAIK. But they work almost exactly like the original S-2000, aside from a 1MB instead of 2MB ROM. OTTO and SEQUOIA have been joined into one chip called OPUS. It has a very similar digital/analog section via the AD chip and is Soundscape compatible. It is PnP though (like VIVO) which can be a headache sometimes.

The COW chip is a poke at Gateway 2000, AFAIK, and they may be the only OEM that used these cards. I'm not sure what that chip does but it might be PnP related.

The FCC ID is the same as the S-2000 but the Ensoniq part number is S3016.