VOGONS

Reply 20 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Another thought: Just try disabling Windows networking entirely (i.e. using the network connection properties page) and see if the FTP speed improves.

On the Win98 side? Do you mean remove "Client for Microsoft Networks" ??

Sure, or try looking at its properties and disabling file sharing.

Reply 21 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Artex wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Another thought: Just try disabling Windows networking entirely (i.e. using the network connection properties page) and see if the FTP speed improves.

On the Win98 side? Do you mean remove "Client for Microsoft Networks" ??

Sure, or try looking at its properties and disabling file sharing.

No dice I'm afraid. 🙁

Reply 23 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Would running xpmode help? Thinking xp can network with both 7 and 98, so running a vm on your 7 box might do the trick.

Seems Windows 7 has problems copying to legacy OS's in general. I've tried everything I can think of. So annoying!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en … 71-904a8f5469bb

Reply 24 of 59, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try copying from Linux (live CD) to Win98 with samba, SSH or plain old 'download' via apache. I always copied via SSH, its safe, no hangups, no problems - other then slowing down the win98 system quite a bit (vintage CPU).

Reply 25 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just thought up another approach - you could also install XP in a Virtualbox VM on the Win7 box. It's possible to make that VM appear on the network and to use it as an intermediary between 7 and 98.

Reply 26 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I'm still curious if a live Linux CD will work.

Another consideration would be using a USB transfer cable, since you have USB working. It's pretty much just as convenient as networking, aside from having to use the extra cable.

Reply 27 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Yes, I'm still curious if a live Linux CD will work.

Another consideration would be using a USB transfer cable, since you have USB working. It's pretty much just as convenient as networking, aside from having to use the extra cable.

Interesting - a USB to USB cable? I would assume then both ends are male??

Will a linux live CD see the NTFS partitions on Windows 7 as well as the 98 Fat32 side?

Forgive me, I don't know anything about Linux/Unix stuff.

Last edited by Artex on 2012-07-14, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You would run it on the Win7 machine. The point is to use Linux's Samba to share that computer's files, instead of Windows 7's networking. Samba still works with Win9x, and yes Linux supports NTFS and FAT32.

USB networking isn't just a straight cable connection. It's not like Firewire. USB networking cables have hardware inside and function like a NIC. It seems likely that changing physical layer isn't going to solve the problem of NT6 file sharing being incompatible with Win9x though.

Reply 30 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

You would run it on the Win7 machine. The point is to use Linux's Samba to share that computer's files, instead of Windows 7's networking. Samba still works with Win9x, and yes Linux supports NTFS and FAT32.

USB networking isn't just a straight cable connection. It's not like Firewire. USB networking cables have hardware inside and function like a NIC. It seems likely that changing physical layer isn't going to solve the problem of NT6 file sharing being incompatible with Win9x though.

Interesting. Again though, I can see the Win98SE share and access the files on the remote box just fine from the Windows 7 x64 system. It's just that the file copies are painfully slow, maxing out at only 500KB/s or so using MS Networking, FTP, and SFTP transfers.

Reply 31 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So... You're on the Win7 machine accessing the Win9x box? You're not on the 9x box trying to access Win7 shares?

Try Linux and see what happens. It is indeed strange that SSH and FTP would be problematic in the same way as Windows Networking though.

Reply 32 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

So... You're on the Win7 machine accessing the Win9x box? You're not on the 9x box trying to access Win7 shares?

Try Linux and see what happens. It is indeed strange that SSH and FTP would be problematic in the same way as Windows Networking though.

Yep - exactly. I'm browsing the 98SE share via \\Computername\Share from my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate box and I can access it just fine. It's when I transfer files to that 98SE box from the Windows 7 box where things slow down. I haven't tried the other way, nor do I even wanna try to go down that path. 😀 However, as I mentioned, FTP acts the same way. I swapped NICs, cables, etc as well.

I just grabbed the bootable Unbuntu .ISO and will give it a shot. I wonder if it's the switch or something? Other folks on various threads have mentioned SMB as well.. I work in the IT field and have for the last 10+ years - this one stumps - rather annoying.

Reply 33 of 59, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Interesting - a USB to USB cable? I would assume then both ends are female??

Has to be a special networking cable

or if you have firewire you could use that

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 34 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:
Artex wrote:

Interesting - a USB to USB cable? I would assume then both ends are female??

Has to be a special networking cable

or if you have firewire you could use that

I'm assuming what I need is something like this, but I definitely don't want to rely on the Windows Easy Transfer bs.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Easy-Transfer-Ca … s/dp/B002PAR0AQ

Reply 35 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, something like that. The big "blob" in the middle is the important part. (While you can buy USB-A-to-USB-A male-male cables, they are completely nonstandard and might even damage your USB ports.)

I'm not sure if Windows 7 includes anything, but these cables also require their own independent file transfer programs. I'm not sure if someone's cooked up an open-source/freeware general purpose program; you might have to use whatever program is supplied with the cable – in which case you'll need to make sure it's compatible with both 98SE and Windows 7. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

I should also probably mention that you can download a Windows version of smbclient, the command-line version of what Linux uses to connect to Windows shares and which is thus operating-system independent, but if FTP and SFTP aren't working any better, I wouldn't expect smbclient to work any better either.

Reply 36 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Yes, something like that. The big "blob" in the middle is the important part. (While you can buy USB-A-to-USB-A male-male cables, they are completely nonstandard and might even damage your USB ports.)

I'm not sure if Windows 7 includes anything, but these cables also require their own independent file transfer programs. I'm not sure if someone's cooked up an open-source/freeware general purpose program; you might have to use whatever program is supplied with the cable – in which case you'll need to make sure it's compatible with both 98SE and Windows 7. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

I should also probably mention that you can download a Windows version of smbclient, the command-line version of what Linux uses to connect to Windows shares and which is thus operating-system independent, but if FTP and SFTP aren't working any better, I wouldn't expect smbclient to work any better either.

I wonder if I should maybe try disabling SMB 2.0 on the Windows 7 side?

Reply 38 of 59, by schaap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀 Why hasn't anybody asked him what kind of machines we are talking about? Or have I overlooked something?

- If you are using ISA NICs (on your 98SE machines), this speed is normal.
- If you are using USB NICs this speed can be normal, especially if it's connected to a USB 1.1 port (USB 1.1 is all Windows 98 will do AFIAK)
- If you are using 10mbps NICs, this speed is normal.
- If you are using PCMCIA non-cardbus NICs, this can be normal, depending on the cards.
- If you are using Realtek RTL8139 based NICs, this can be normal depending on the CPU.
- SFTP uses a lot of CPU for an old machine, a Pentium/Pentium MMX is doing quite well to get 500kB/s with SFTP.
- If your machines are 486's with original harddrives (say 80MB - ~5GB), this can be normal, especially when transfering small files.
- Ensure that DMA is enabled on the HDDs in Windows 98 if possible.
- Use Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 or AMD PCNET PCI NICs with Windows 98, if you want good speed, 3com 3C905x are okay if the machines are high pentiums or better, try to avoid anything else (that uses PIO, or shitty DMA like the Realtek 8139, etc.).

Reply 39 of 59, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schaap wrote:
:-) Why hasn't anybody asked him what kind of machines we are talking about? Or have I overlooked something? […]
Show full quote

😀 Why hasn't anybody asked him what kind of machines we are talking about? Or have I overlooked something?

- If you are using ISA NICs (on your 98SE machines), this speed is normal.
- If you are using USB NICs this speed can be normal, especially if it's connected to a USB 1.1 port (USB 1.1 is all Windows 98 will do AFIAK)
- If you are using 10mbps NICs, this speed is normal.
- If you are using PCMCIA non-cardbus NICs, this can be normal, depending on the cards.
- If you are using Realtek RTL8139 based NICs, this can be normal depending on the CPU.
- SFTP uses a lot of CPU for an old machine, a Pentium/Pentium MMX is doing quite well to get 500kB/s with SFTP.
- If your machines are 486's with original harddrives (say 80MB - ~5GB), this can be normal, especially when transfering small files.
- Ensure that DMA is enabled on the HDDs in Windows 98 if possible.
- Use Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 or AMD PCNET PCI NICs with Windows 98, if you want good speed, 3com 3C905x are okay if the machines are high pentiums or better, try to avoid anything else (that uses PIO, or shitty DMA like the Realtek 8139, etc.).

All valid points!

- I originally was using a USB 10/100 NIC connected to the USB 1.1 port on the motherboard. However, I then switched to 10/100 PCI NICs - two 3COM 3C905 NICs and one "NetworkEverywhere" 10/100 PCI NIC as well.

- The machines I'm using are a P200Mhz w/MMX, a PII-450Mhz, and an AMD K6-II 500 w/3dNow!

- DMA is enabled on the drives