VOGONS

First post, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same as title guys, I've been having this issue for many months and I still don't know what can it be 😒 Sometimes when playing specific midi files just a single time, when playing several times a same midi file or when running DXdiag's MIDI test my cards seem to glitch out the hell out of themselves; every drum is replaced by heavy low piano notes till I reboot my system... 😵

Which do you think could be the reason of this? If ya might have an idea or actually know what's really happening, do you know if there's a solution or not? You don't know how annoying is this! 😢

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is something to do with needing a GM or GS reset? With external units you just power them off before playing the next game, but with an internal card you can't.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

didn't know about that.. but how can I do it?

I imagine my daughterboard isn't bad since it would be much worse than this if actually was damaged, am I right?

Reply 4 of 12, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can sometimes find special midi files that simply send a 'system reset' command to your midi device - that sometimes gets around the power-off / power-on issue when they get messed up.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote:

You can sometimes find special midi files that simply send a 'system reset' command to your midi device - that sometimes gets around the power-off / power-on issue when they get messed up.

ughhhh, can't find anyone on the net.. Perhaps I am too dumb. Would you give a link to one just to see if playing it fixes my big issue? 🤣

Reply 6 of 12, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somewhere on this forum was a guy who helped me with DB50XG by posting a link for a small DOS utility that resets the card (also in MT32 mode). Search the forum, it must be around. Try running that utility.

P.S. I would upload the utility myself, but I am on vacation atm and my retro system is 1600km away 😊

Reply 7 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it GS Play and MT-32 reset from this link? Aren't those just for Roland hardware? 😒

http://www.queststudios.com/roland/utilities.html

Reply 8 of 12, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Is it GS Play and MT-32 reset from this link? Aren't those just for Roland hardware? 😒

http://www.queststudios.com/roland/utilities.html

Why, yes it is! And here's the original thread:
SB16 vs DBs (hanging / stuck / wrong notes in MIDI)

It works with DB50XG.

Reply 9 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tried to run xg-reset.syx and reset.syx but gsplay immediatly closes after playing any of them.. Is there something I have to do I'm missing? 😵

Reply 10 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean? Shouldn't it close after sending the reset sequence?
I don't see any wrong behavior in it.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

subhuman@xgtx are you just clicking on these files from Windows?

PS:

For sending sysex files under DOS I use the tool DUMP which is also on the Queststudios site.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 12, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My bad, guys. I originally thought the program was crashing before sending the midi reset. but it was just that it actually sent it so fast because of my system and that was what fooled me into thinking that 🤣 I ran it under DOS and 98 too.

It seems that it's working fine 😁 , fixed several things as DXdiag's flourish.mid midi test, but sometimes some notes glitch out again and I have to send another reset in order to fix them 😅

Thank you my fellow vogoners 😁

EDIT: Ughhh, for example, each time I play Doom's E3M9...