VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am wondering what older laptops for usual daily use are people here are enjoying/suffering?

After losing everything in a house fire and starting over from scratch on a shoe string budget I ended up with a old Dell Inspiron 9300. A few nicks and scratches but overall I gradually was impressed. Base specs are terrible even for a gaming laptop from 05, pentium m 740, x300se 32mb(64mb after hyper memory), 2gb ram, and a crummy 60gb drive. The first thing that I upgraded was the drive and found a source for a new 120gb drive for $60 😒 then later got lucky on another machine for scrap and used the cpu as well gpu from it to upgrade the one I was using. A pentium m 770 and a 128mb x300se, terrible but better than what I had started with. Last but not least I got a pleasant surprise from my aunt a pentium m 780 😳 so now the only thing is that 6800 go that I had to ship back. 😒

Anyway while every rich brat at college is enjoying their fancy pretty i7 machines and playing all the usual titles like minecraft and LoL mine got noticed a few times. At least mine doesn't break easy 😁

So what is your most recent or nostalgic laptop moment/s? By the way I recently rebuilt a few Thinkpads for modern uses. 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 19, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a four year old Asus M50VM-B1 that sees occasional use. It's got a 2.53Ghz T9400, 4GB ram, 9600M GS, 320GB 5400 rpm drive. There's some artifacting when looking at hi-res images or gaming after a while, I need to tear it down and replace all the thermal paste and replace the old thermal pads on the GPU memory. Could use an SSD and a fresh install of Windows 7 on it and it'd be good to go for another few years.

Oh yeah, the battery is all but useless for any kind of mobile use, it only lasts about 2 hours unplugged at this point.

Last edited by m1919 on 2013-02-21, 05:12. Edited 3 times in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 2 of 19, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't technically count, but I get quite a bit of use out of my netbook.

1.6MHz Intel Atom
1GB DDR2-667 RAM
Intel GMA graphics
64GB SSD
Windows 7 Home x86

I use it for MIDI composing and transferring files to my older laptop via the SD adapter. I play some earlier Windows games like Worms Armageddon and Peggle. I also do some writing and a lot of internet browsing. It's a pretty new machine but reminiscent of computers from 2004.

Reply 3 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have an emachines M6805 from 2004. At the time it was a sweet $1500 gaming notebook. I've sold off more recent notebooks but this thing is way too worn to try to sell. It is perfectly usable for me though.

Mobile Athlon 64 3000+
2GB PC2700
K8T800 + VT8235
Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB
250GB HDD (upgrade)
802.11n ($7 upgrade!)
Realtek AC97 (pretty nice Sensaura 3D)

I could run 98SE on it if I really wanted to. But nah.

Reply 4 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My most recent laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A20m, 440BX Celeron 550MHz, ATI Rage Mobility M1 8MB video. I got it new back around 2000/2001. At the time I was impressed that it could run 3DMark 2000. 😀 .. it can't do that anymore with current drivers, and I failed in my effort to find the older driver. I think IBM deleted it.

At one point I had the RAM maxed out at 512MB, but then I sold off one of the 256MB modules (compatible ones for a BX laptop were worth some real money) so it's currently at 384MB. The hard drive was replaced a few years ago with an 80GB Western Digital, but it has hardly been used since then.
It started locking up occasionally, and 6 months ago the problem became severe.
I have another, similar model Thinkpad with a good motherboard and a 900MHz P3. It has a busted screen among other problems, but the motherboard is good. I'm going to transplant that motherboard into my A20, I just haven't done it yet.
It's all I really need. I hardly ever use laptops anyway. I'm undecided what OS I will use next time around, I may go with some linux distro.

I'm also intent to find active use for my ~1996-97 Compaq LTE5380 which I inherited from a relative. It runs a Pentium 133MHz with 80MB RAM (maxed out). My plan is to set it up for datalogging in my car. It's a chunky and durable laptop, so I feel better using it that way than my Thinkpad. Besides, it's shorter dimensions fit better in the seat. Conveniently, I've discovered that both the LTE and the Thinkpad are compatible with the same DC power supply.
It's secondary function will be burning EPROMs, but I can just as easily do that on my desktop.
The OS will be either NT4, 95, or 98, depending what I find is necessary. I'd like to avoid 98 because the Windows shell enhancements make it slow. NT4 is my first pick, it's much faster than Win98, and more stable than any Win9x ever was.
I'm also thinking seriously about dual booting it to MSDOS. That LTE has Sound Blaster compatible sound, so it might be fun to use as a gaming laptop.

I have no purposes in mind that justify buying anything new. For daily use I like desktops.

Reply 5 of 19, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At home I'm using a Dell Latitude D600 from 2004 with 1.5GHz Pentium-M (Dothan) which I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, 60GB hard disk.
Performance is mostly OK, only for Youtube I notice that the Radeon 9000 doesn't have any Flash acceleration so the highest resolutions aren't usable and I get a very high CPU usage even with the 480 resolution.

I looked into upgrading the hard disk but when comparing prices for PATA and SATA disks it's just not worth it, I'd nearly be spending more money for a decent sized new hard disk than the machine is worth at the moment. So I'll just use the notebook until it breaks. (It got several mainboard replacements and one hard disk replacement until 2007 so it might still last a while.)

Reply 6 of 19, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Core 2 Duo E6300 on daily basis as my main Internet/movies computer. It was bought in December 2006 (Oh it kicked arse!) and since that time I upgraded GPU from x1800GTO to HD5670 and added a 1Tb HDD. I'm not going to change my home system in next few years, it's just as fast as I need.

I've got an i5 450M laptop (hp Pavilion dm3). It renders MAX scenes 2 times faster, but in other applications I see no real difference.

Oh... It's about laptops.. sorry 😀

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2013-02-21, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My longest serving versatile laptop was a P4 Generation Toshiba Satellite.

My laptop died just before doing a ski season in Canada in 2010 so grabbed this off the parts shelf at work (figured it was my going away present)

Not grateful about being pulled out of retirement, within the 1st week the power socket, wifi module and keyboard all developed loose connections. Keyboard was the worse as typing 1 letter would also put the letter next to it as well, backspace became my friend. It had to stay like that for 6 months.

Once back in London I stayed with my girlfriend in her student accom were only 1 device was allowed on the net. Where you had to register your MAC address. It would detect nat so I came up with the idea of installing 2003 terminal server. Solder on a new power socket, usb keyboard and with it permitly using the Ethernet cable it was good as new, OK it wasn’t the fastest but we could both surf at the same time now!
After she moved it became her file server as it small enough to just live in a draw.

Its back in retirement now, but im sure it’ll find another use soon enough

Reply 9 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Up until about 2-3 years ago I was still using an emachines M6811. I finally had to get rid of it when the video chip started to break loose from the motherboard. It was Athlon64 3400+, 512mb RAM, 80gb 4200RPM hard drive, 15.4" screen, 64mb Radeon Mobility 9600 graphics and Windows XP. It sucked for battery life. I never got more than 2.5 hours out of it unplugged.

That would probably a nice machine for some vintage gaming with 98SE installed.

Reply 10 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

M6811 is almost identical to my M6805. Aside from the screen flickering as many of these did, it's still working fine. I've decided it's pretty much all that I need for a notebook.

Reply 11 of 19, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

eMachines are surprisingly dependable; it might have something to do with the fact that they don't have any high-performance hardware. In 2008, I paid $200 for my eMachines e627 (1.6 GHz Athlon TF-20, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, ATI Radeon 3200). It ran Windows 7 like a champ. A year later, I upgraded the CPU to a dual-core 1.8GHz Turion for $20. For a cheap, dinky laptop it handled everything I threw at it - including Photoshop, Visual Studio and Dwarf Fortress, of all things.

Reply 12 of 19, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still using an old IBM Thinkpad T43 as my main laptop. Upgraded to (almost) the maximum specs, SXGA Display, SSD, 2x1GB RAM, Pentium M 770. Runs like a dream. It's 8 years old and still works great, no problems at all.

::42::

Reply 13 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate forking out much for laptops, we still use an x40 I bought a couple of years ago. Pentium M 1.6ghz and 768 or 1024 ram - I forget, my son has taken it over, all I know is that the docking station is now kaput [no dvd drive any more]. When I last used it about a year ago, it was pretty fast for what seemed quite a low spec.

Reply 14 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday while in town and wasting time at a local shop I found a beat up old XPS gen 2 and bought it for $25. The body was in fairly bad shape as it had been dropped several times but internally everything was there except for the hard drive any way I pulled the 6800 ultra out and am enjoying it on my 9300. I really like that machine and it is more responsive than that terrible Toshiba e-350 ever was that got burnt up.

Specs as of now... Pentium m 780, 120gb drive (new), 2gb ram, and a 6800 ultra (NV41). Playing Oblivion like a dream and hopefully might be able to enjoy some of the current titles after finding modded drivers.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 19, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This topic is only a month old so this can't be necroposting.

I have a few laptops, most recent is a Gateway from 2009 but who cares.
This is a retro forum so here is the most retro laptop I own:

!p1011748_1.jpg

Compaq Evo N410c

Before there were netbooks there were sub-notebooks. Too small to include CDROM or floppy but docking stations were available for most models.

I bought this used minus the docking station at one of those computer flea markets they used to have in my area. The left touchpad button doesn't work and the hard drive is slowly dying but otherwise is in good shape. Thanks to a BIOS upgrade I can now boot from USB flash or CD/DVD. This is how I upgraded the unit from Windows XP Pro SP1 to XP PRO SP3 MCE 2005.

It has composite out which was nice at the time I bought it although irrevelant now. Also has infra-red port and according to the specs, SB-PRO compatibility. It supposedly can run Win 98SE although I haven't tried, one of the pet projects I'll get to eventually but I'll probably have to replace the HD first.

Mostly I use it to test suspect malware - it actually has been infected a few times. It's fun watching the fake antivirus progs attempt to pwn my system, thowing up all kinds of warnings about how I have so many infections my computer will explode if I don't fork over my credit card number.

Ohh nooeess!

image.jpg image.jpg

I nuke that crud by restoring it factory settings with a clean image I made prior.

Reply 16 of 19, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a nice machine. It might be a bit sluggish for XP - I'd put Win2000 on it. With the P3 CPU and the mainstream ATI video card, that would be an awesome late 90s gaming laptop. There are scads of Quake 2 era games that would run amazingly on that.

Reply 17 of 19, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yea it's sluggish even with 512MB - the flaky HD isn't much help in that respect. I bought it for about $100 I think in 2005 on a whim. Didn't even come with the original power supply, instead with a cheap chinese crap. It needs a new battery, the existing one only lasts about 15 minutes on a full overnight charge.

I'm not sure what I want to do with it since the max memory I can go is 1 GB and I have to use an external mouse since the left touchpad button is shot. I was never that much into PC gaming because it's a pain in the ass to get games working properly on a PC over a console. I want to spend my leisure time playing games, not trying to get them to work.

This was a business laptop back in the day and most folks treated their work laptops like crap - you can tell that this was a road warrior.