VOGONS

Old PC socket 7

Topic actions

First post, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello PC wizards.
Im new to this forum and I need yours help.
So here is my story. Im working in company where in something like IT guy. We are running pacers with 2 aprox 17 yeard old computers. On one of them PSU blows so everything blows with it. I had to change motherboard, EDO, GPU, HDD well everything.
And here is my problem. Original motherboard was GA-586TX3 which has some kind 5 pin for keyboard and 4 pin which looks like pins for fan. And to that 4 pin was connected some kind card where was PS2 for mouse. But on new one which is i think OPTi Viper 82C557M dont have anything like that. I mean 4 pin. And I cant use serial for mouse bcse to that serial is connected BIG very big ISA card for pacer. So my question is will that motherboard recognize any PCI card like for example USB or PS2 cards?
Here is picrures about what Im talking.
THANK ALL OF YOU FOR ANY ANSWER.

2rx8kth.jpg

2ennx5f.jpg

10mn8nl.jpg

Reply 1 of 60, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnyx99 wrote:

So my question is will that motherboard recognize any PCI card like for example USB or PS2 cards?

No it wont, simply because it has no PCI slots. Well, at least according to your pics. Maybe there is a hidden PCI slot somewhere but I dont see it.

I also didnt understand the original problem - can you connect keyboard and mouse at all? I never saw such a 4-pin connector for this particular purpose. Practically all my computers since 80386 had keyboard DIN or PS/2 (later USB) connectors.

Reply 2 of 60, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

No it wont, simply because it has no PCI slots. Well, at least according to your pics. Maybe there is a hidden PCI slot somewhere but I dont see it.

I see three PCI slots on that second board, or are my senses playing tricks on me?

Reply 3 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well how far i know there is 3 PCI slots on that motherboard. But anyway Ill post pictures what I mean with that 4 pin. On first pic there is 5 pin for keyboard and PS2 for mouse (red) . Second pic is from inside . I have to connect that 4 pin somewhere i think. If not that PS2 wont work.

t6593c.jpg

hwn955.jpg

Reply 4 of 60, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you find any information about the new motherboard? OPTi Viper 82C557M is just the designation of one of the chips.

I think we established that the 4-pin connector is for PS/2 mouse, the manual agrees with that.

Reply 5 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, yes you have PCI slots, lots of them. Second, yes this four pins was most probably for PS/2 bracket (I had a GA686TX board once, and clearly remember having that bracket, although I was not utilizing it at that time). And it is normal that you can't find a connector for it in your new board. PS/2 was a feature a few better built AT motherboards had (lke your fried Gigabyte) during the era.

The bad thing is, all these PCI USB and/or PS/2 addons are OS dependent and will not help much with USB and PS2 mouses (i.e. driven by software drivers, unlike native USB or PS/2 ports of later boards). So, unless your OS is not something newer than windows 98, it would not work for you (I assume you don't have an XP or newer, running on a socket7 mobo..😁).

You said serial port is used by pacer card. I'm sure there would be a second one. For example, the blue D25 connector on top of your PS/2 barcket is another serial port, which seems not connected to anything. So you can use this, by finding (from ebay?) a 9 to 25 converter adapter for your serial mouse (I asssume you have a serial mouse).

If this is not the case and somehow your second serial port will also be utilized for something else, then you can find ISA serial port cards, again from ebay, cheap and plenty, both used and new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-2-Port-ISA-R … =item53f02ba3b4

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the first picture, the most top-left capacitor looks to be bulging (the one to the right of the blue jumper switchy thingy). Could you take a clearer pic of it? Perhaps it's just the light?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the first picture, the most top-left capacitor looks to be bulging (the one to the right of the blue jumper switchy thingy). Could you take a clearer pic of it? Perhaps it's just the light?

This Gigabyte board already designated as FOA (Fried in action) in the frst message ... 😁

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 8 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ill take clear picture tomorrow when Ill be back in work. But yeah it looks like that capacitor is gone. Bu anyway i bought "new" motherboard so hopefully everything will be fine.

Thank you very much tayyare for your answer. I had a PS2 mouse but if that convertor from 25 to 9 will work Ill go that way.

I'm working with PC since i was 14 years old so I really don't remember these old machines. Yeah I remember playing civilization, DOOM, HEXEN, HERETIC and so, at that time I had never opened the PC case 😀

Reply 9 of 60, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

This Gigabyte board already designated as FOA (Fried in action) in the frst message ... 😁

O 🤣, I thought it was the new board. Misread the thingy 😊
That board (if it were still alive) looks like it was one of the more top-boards of it's time. Shame that it is lost.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problem. But if you don't have a serial mouse on hand, you might still have a problem.

Not all PS/2 mice have serial mouse emulation and there is no definite standard for PS/2 to serial mouse adapters. That means even if your PS/2 mouse is serial compatible, the serial conversion adapter you might have from another brand mgiht not work together with it. And if your PS/2 mouse is, for example, an optical one (i.e. not a ball mouse), I doubt it would be serial compatible.

But don't worry, ebay is the medicine for most of our illnesses... 😁

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-AT-Serial-Port … =item33803512dc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindy-PS-2-Mouse-to-S … =item56538455a7

And if it does not work:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197. … cat=0&_from=R40

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 11 of 60, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to address the elephant in the room, just what exactly is that large ISA card? Googling pacer doesn't give me much. if memory serves me, I have that top board in my collection. works well. It uses a non-standard ps/2 cable. its pretty much only going to work on that one board. If you want a ps/2 mouse on your new board you are going to need a new connector. There are TWO styles of "standard" connectors. one is a "U" shaped 3x2 pin, the other is a 5x1 (1 pin missing) The latter being more common. This is what you should look for: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190802283407

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 60, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, the 2nd board doesn't have any L2 cache, meaning its going to be a LOT slower than the origional board. Buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111009091378

it goes in that slot next to the processor.

Reply 13 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

luckybob:
Pacer is cnc machine. Something like this http://www.axyz.co.uk/ But ours is old one and its like spare machine. But we have two new ones. And that PS2 Interface Backplate have 5 way header. I think there is nothing like that on my new motherboard.

tayyare:
I already ordered this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130564361276?ru=htt … 1276%26_rdc%3D1

and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190802807261?ru=htt … 7261%26_rdc%3D1

Reply 14 of 60, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
elfuego wrote:

I see three PCI slots on that second board, or are my senses playing tricks on me?

NVM me, I'm blind as a mole. Was looking at the pics from a phone 😵

Reply 15 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the chances of that? One of my friends drop by yesterday evening for a cup of tea and conversation, and bring with him an AT case with a fully functional 486 setup, knowing that I like those old computer junks.

The board on it (486-VIP-IO) has a 5 pin PS/2 connector!!!

No brackets, though. 😒

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 18 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys I’m back 😀

I have problem install win 95.
I bought 40GB HDD Seagate ST340015A like replacement. "New CD-ROM" LG CRD6483B and floppy from HP PC. HDD like master on IDE1, CD-ROM on IDE2 and floppy in floppy.
I have 4 install CD from win 95 and 3 floppy’s for CD-ROM setup boot disk. But none of them working I think. Here's some pictures...

21mgrk0.jpg

2dugikw.jpg

Any ideas why this happens? Bcse what is really weird, last week on Friday I tried install win and I ended on screen where was "u cannot install windows bcse you don’t have HDD" or something like that.
And approx. an hour ago I used this commands and everything works fine except one:
format c:
md C:\WIN95
cd C:\WIN95
copy E:\WIN95 (This command wont work) because I simply don’t know what letter my CD-ROM have.

Reply 19 of 60, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your hard drive maybe too big. Pentium motherboards have issues with hard drives larger than 32gb. Look for a BIOS update for your board, follow the directions EXACTLY.