Old PC socket 7

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Your hard drive maybe too big. Pentium motherboards have issues with hard drives larger than 32gb. Look for a BIOS update for your board, follow the directions EXACTLY.

Yes indeed. You should also check if the Master/Slave jumpers on your drives are set correctly.

Also, you should let the BIOS auto-detect the drives. If you have configured your drives in your BIOS manually, change it back to automatic.

Reply 21 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok then, thank you for help. My question is on that first pic I can see "Oak technology bla bla bla... No drives found. So you guys telling me if I get HDD like 20GB big everything will be sorted?
66ylpx.jpg

Bcse what is on that screen looks to me like simply I don’t have drivers for cd rom. And when I checked BIOS there is not a option for CD ROM. Just drive A and C.
25t96ap.jpg
And if I need drivers for CD ROM I already tried to find them but no joy...

I’m getting frustrated from this PC 😒

Reply 22 of 60, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That or update the bios. There is a website, whose name escapes me at the moment, where all they do is hack bioses to enable large hard drives. I want to say wims bios. But dont quote me on that. As for being frustrated, you have NO idea of the weekend ive had.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah bob I tried that, I found this web site

http://th2chips.freeservers.com/m5x9/index.html
and this
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/pcchips/m519.htm

But if I have to do something with that I will need help. Big time 😢 Bcse if I do something wrong with that BIOS motherboard will be bricked I think...

But I thing u missed my question. Even with new BIOS my problems will be solved?

Reply 24 of 60, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you should try a cd-rom driver specifically for LG, just in case. I've had problems in the past regarding cd-rom drives not recognized by the oak driver, but I think they were made by toshiba(not sure, though).
I'm attaching a zip file with the installation disk of a LG cd-rom.

Attachments

• Filename
    crd-8xxxb.zip
    File size
    107.11 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnyx99 wrote:

Bcse what is on that screen looks to me like simply I don’t have drivers for cd rom. And when I checked BIOS there is not a option for CD ROM. Just drive A and C.

It is more likely that your BIOS is just so old that it doesn't support booting from CD-ROMs. If I'm not mistaken, the option to boot from CD would normally appear regardless of whether a CD-ROM drive is connected.

Reply 26 of 60, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
johnyx99 wrote:

It is more likely that your BIOS is just so old that it doesn't support booting from CD-ROMs. If I'm not mistaken, the option to boot from CD would normally appear regardless of whether a CD-ROM drive is connected.

This is true 🙁

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 28 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnyx99 wrote:

If so is there any option to install win 95 from floppy's? How I remember like 13 floppy's.

If you can't get this working, you might as well find a better Socket 7 motherboard. You're only going to have more problems down the line.

Did you check the Master/Slave jumpers on your drives, as I suggested?

Reply 31 of 60, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
johnyx99 wrote:

Yep, everything is right. HDD master = IDE1
CD ROM i think slave = IDE2

And I was thinking about new motherboard... Well Ill see tmrw...

The cd drive must be master on channel 2.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 32 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
johnyx99 wrote:

Yep, everything is right. HDD master = IDE1
CD ROM i think slave = IDE2

And I was thinking about new motherboard... Well Ill see tmrw...

The cd drive must be master on channel 2.

Yes indeed. Also, if the HDD is alone on its channel, there may be a specific jumper setting for "Master with No Slave Present".

Reply 33 of 60, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣, just because he's on the secondary channel doesn't mean he's a slave, he still gets his own channel . Just set the jumper on both devices for master, each one on a channel and use the connector further way from the mboard, the connector in the middle of the cable is for "slaves" 😊

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 34 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi again,

I think you have some more basic options to try first.

First of all, does your motherboard support auto detecting harddisks? You did not answer this question asked by some other guy, but it is a important question.

If your BIOS allows you to detect IDE drives automatically, you should use that facility. If the HDD deteted correctly, you have no 32GB limit problem, if not, either the HDD is DOA, or you really need to go for a disk smaller tan 32GB.

Second important thing is, are you sure that second IDE controller is enabled (and working correctly)? You can check by connecting the CD-ROM to first channel, adjusting it as a slave, and see if it can be seen

I don't believe you will have much problem with specific drivers and such, just find a windows 98SE sturtup floppy (there are many sites for that or I can email you the image directly if you pm me with your mail adress) I did not see any CDROM drives which cannot be loaded by 98SE startup disk.

There are also some other startup floppy images around, using more modern freedos drivers, and one with 10s of different cdrom drivers. I can send images of them to you too.

But first things first:

- Make your HDD recognized by the system, partition and format. Preferably with /S option (you need to boot from HDD - use autodetect and/or a drive smaller than 32GB). Remember that you don't need a real HDD for that option, a compact flash card with 1-2 GB capacity with an IDE/CF adapter (2-3 USD on ebay, shipment included) will work perfectly, I always use that combination for old CNCs
- Make your CDROM drive properly connected to a properly working IDE channel (be sure that CD-ROM is not DOA either).
- If you use a compact flash instead of HDD, you don't need a CDROM ever. Just copy everything into the card in a reader, all the w95 setup and required hardware driver setup disks. than ou can start everything from that card (format it with /S option first).

Then you can use any of the images (after copying them to a floppy of course.. 🤣 ) that I promissed to send you, boot with floppy, and copy win95 CD contents to your HDD, boot from HDD again and run setup from HDD.

Thats all.

And yes, booting from CD-ROM is not an option for all socket7 boards. The good thing is, you don't need to. 😁

Last edited by tayyare on 2013-03-05, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 35 of 60, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnyx99 wrote:

I have very good experience with this shop. Which one is decent?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FarnboroughIT/Socket … d=p4634.c0.m322

I would go for the Asus or Gigabyte but it's just my personal like of these two brands. you need to check the memory sockets, supported CPUs and number and type of slots, to utilize the equipment you already on hand.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 36 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HELL YEAH

12633ae.jpg

I connected my CD ROM like slave on IDE1. And booom 😈 ... But there is still some kind of problem. I can't format C: and I can't read from C: I'll wait for 20GB HDD. Will be here today.

Reply 37 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to make sure the jumper on your hard drive is set correctly! It might even have a jumper setting to limit its capacity to make it more compatible for legacy purposes.

Reply 38 of 60, by johnyx99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have just 4 options:
1. Master or single drive
2. Drive is a slave
3. Master with a non-ATA-compactible slave
4. Enable cable select

I choose option 1 for my HDD. I can try 3rd option.

And I forgot BIOS detect that HDD automatically.

Reply 39 of 60, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, the first option would definitely be the way to go.

As previously mentioned, the other possibility would be to look for a BIOS update for your motherboard to enable large drive support.