VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1500 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried all the official ATI Radeon 8000 series demos (excluding the Dolphin demo, which shows off TruForm), which all use DirectX 8, using dgVoodoo2 2.5. Almost the ones I tried crashed - despite the fact they run fine on my GeForce GTX 970 without dgVoodoo2 - and the one which didn't fail, "LightScattering", aka "Rendering Outdoor Light Scattering in Real Time", only renders textures as black when using dgVoodoo2. The ones which crashed generated something similar to the following in their error logs (the following comes from the "Rachel" tech demo):

; ATI Sushi Error Log
; Created Mon Feb 01 20:59:33 2016

[N:\ShaderLib\Source\SSVertexShaderCache.cpp] (line 74):
ShaderLib Error!: Shader Shaders\gDefault.ssh:
Can't create Vertex Shader(If there are no other error messages, you may be using data in your vertex shader from stream elements that don't exist.)

[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\StartEnd.cpp] (line 815): Error loading 4-type shader in "gDefault.ssh"
[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\Text.cpp] (line 169): Error! Text shader pointer is NULL!
[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\WinD3D\AwFn.cpp] (line 968): ERROR! WM_CLOSE message received when in a BeginScene.
[N:\1Sushi\RunTime\Draw.cpp] (line 2871): Error! Text shader pointer is NULL!

I should point out all the official tech demos (bar the "LightScattering" demo) also have accompanying AVI videos to demonstrate how the demos should look.

Reply 1501 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huhh, where to begin... 😀

ZellSF wrote:

Desktop resolution is already changed to game resolution. The problem is that if it doesn't match the native resolution of the monitor then its appearance is either stretched or centered (but logically it appears correctly as part of the desktop. On a two-monitor system, if you switch one display to say 800x600, and look at the display layout on the Windows system dialog on another monitor then you'll see that monitor area as 800x600. Shortly, a logical display layout and its appearance can be different).

What I mean is actually change desktop resolution from a non-D3D11 API and just render in a borderless window.

It's already possible to do this with dgVoodoo2, but requires external tools for both borderless and setting desktop resolution. A builtin option could be helpful to AMD users.

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood you.
Maybe it could be done but I don't know if refresh rates can be set through old Win32 API. And dynamic switch between windowed/fullscreen would be non-conformant and harder.

comteck123 wrote:

Hey uh Dege, are you going to make dgVoodoo fo DX12?

DX12 wouldn't change much, its only point would be having a wrapper wrapping to the most modern version of DirectX (just in case D3D11 support gets obsolete some day, like 1-8,... 😀 )
If I will do it, the only reason will be wanting to get experience with DX12. After all, dgVoodoo2 started only because I wanted to learn DX11 and had no idea what to code.

ZellSF wrote:

Btw, please fix the 128+ resolution enumerating bug 🙁

It's really annoying to have to remove half my custom resolutions each time I have a need to force a refresh rate.

Ok, you're right, I found that bug in the setup app and fixed it. Dll sides should be bugfree in this respect, though.

@Silanda
@Lowenz
@Speeder
Thanks for the reports guys, I'm going to check them myself.
(I did a quick try on Unreal Gold and indeed, with 256MB VRAM I got that 'run out of...' error message. The game ran with 128MB though. It's interesting, as it works for me natively.
However got no problem with UT.)

@Expack3:
Good test stuffs!
LightScattering works fine for me even with 2.5 (I've done some bugfixing since that) with all of the video card presets. 😕
The others checks for an ATI card and aside from a little DX8 dgVoodoo incompatibility they all seem to require L8 texture format which isn't currently supported in dgVoodoo (but ATI8500 obviously supported it).
It seems it's time to add some new texture formats. But I don't know what else they want, n-patches maybe? 😀

Reply 1503 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried out some of NVIDIA's DirectX tech demos for the GeForce 256, GeForce 2, and GeForce 3 with dgVoodoo2 2.5 with and without D3DCompiler_43.dll (where possible). (Unlike ATI, NVIDIA seemed to really like using OpenGL for its demos, so not a lot to test this time.) All the demos I tested, specifically the "Crystal Ball", "Toy Soldiers", "Creature", and "Chameleon" demos, would crash without an error log unless run natively on my GeForce GTX 970, in which case it would run fine unless you try to run the "Creature" demo with lighting.

I should note that all the DX7 demos need to be run with plain-text setup files (included with each demo in their respective binaries folder) as a parameter, which means if you merely extract the files from the demos' installers like I had to do (stupid older InstallShield versions breaking under Windows 10!), you'll need either a BAT file or a custom shortcut to run them.

Reply 1504 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote:

Tried out some of NVIDIA's DirectX tech demos for the GeForce 256, GeForce 2, and GeForce 3 with dgVoodoo2 2.5 with and without D3DCompiler_43.dll (where possible). (Unlike ATI, NVIDIA seemed to really like using OpenGL for its demos, so not a lot to test this time.) All the demos I tested, specifically the "Crystal Ball", "Toy Soldiers", "Creature", and "Chameleon" demos, would crash without an error log unless run natively on my GeForce GTX 970, in which case it would run fine unless you try to run the "Creature" demo with lighting.

I should note that all the DX7 demos need to be run with plain-text setup files (included with each demo in their respective binaries folder) as a parameter, which means if you merely extract the files from the demos' installers like I had to do (stupid older InstallShield versions breaking under Windows 10!), you'll need either a BAT file or a custom shortcut to run them.

Thanks for those demos! I love these type of stuff! 😎
DX7 demos crashes on some corrupt surface object data, will check later.
However Chameleon seems to work fine with 2.5 (DX8 with shaders so D3DCompiler is unavoidable).
It's strange, as if your system had some problem with dgVoodoo DX8 for some reason.

Reply 1505 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Thanks for those demos! I love these type of stuff! :cool: DX7 demos crashes on some corrupt surface object data, will check l […]
Show full quote

Thanks for those demos! I love these type of stuff! 😎
DX7 demos crashes on some corrupt surface object data, will check later.
However Chameleon seems to work fine with 2.5 (DX8 with shaders so D3DCompiler is unavoidable).
It's strange, as if your system had some problem with dgVoodoo DX8 for some reason.

Perhaps...it could also be the DX8 tech demos I've tried previously are designed to show off the then-new features of specific graphics cards, and thus use tricks dgVoodoo2 isn't picking up on, but native GPU drivers do. I tried out another DirectX 8 benchmark, Code Creatures, with dgVoodoo2 2.5 and it works! Just need to bump up the video memory to 256MB.

Two things to note: first, the launcher executable can't detect resolutions or AA levels if the dgVoodoo2 DLLs are placed in its directory, so you'll only be able to use the official benchmark mode. Second, be sure to put the dgVoodoo2 DLLs in the "content" folder of the demo; otherwise, it'll be running natively.

EDIT: Changed main post to reflect the results of continued testing.

Reply 1507 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried testing Final Reality...but it doesn't detect any hardware when using the dgVoodoo2 2.5 DLLs (with and without D3DCompiler_43.dll), irregardless of vidoecard preset, and crashes when you attempt to adjust advanced settings or simply run the benchmark.

Do note that the dgVoodoo2's DLLs need to go into the "e2driver" folder, replacing e2mfc.dll. Also, setting the DLLs into passthru mode produces the same results as normal operation in my testing.

Reply 1508 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Expack3 wrote:

Just tried testing Final Reality...but it doesn't detect any hardware when using the dgVoodoo2 2.5 DLLs (with and without D3DCompiler_43.dll), irregardless of vidoecard preset, and crashes when you attempt to adjust advanced settings or simply run the benchmark.

Do note that the dgVoodoo2's DLLs need to go into the "e2driver" folder, replacing e2mfc.dll. Also, setting the DLLs into passthru mode produces the same results as normal operation in my testing.

It's the same for Max Payne and 3DMark2001, same engine....

Reply 1509 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

I'm sure that's true, but Dege likes testing weird stuff anyways. 😀

Yees. 😀

Despite I shouldn't focus on this now, I couldn't stand and did some D3D8 fixings.
Added L8 texture format (planning others), added full point sprite support (ATI Nature waterfall is drawn by pointsprites), fixed some bugs,
fixed the multisample checking bug (Codecreatures) so all ATI tech demos Expack3 mentioned runs now.

lowenz wrote:
Expack3 wrote:

It's the same for Max Payne and 3DMark2001, same engine....

MaxPayne tries to init D3D8 through its DllMain (how I hate those type of codes) which doesn't work with D3D11.
Maybe the same is the case with Final Reality, I can't check it now.

Reply 1510 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah how it possible that I missed this wrapper for such a long time?!? I remember using first Dgvoodoo a lot of years ago. 😀
I tested dgvoodoo2 directx capabilities with Hyper Crazy Climber, it works very well and no annoying color corruption problem on win7 (yay!).
However I noticed the image is very blurred when compared to output produced by aqrit's ddraw wrapper. I tried changing various settings in dgvoodoo2 configuration but apparently it changes nothing.

I'm the one who made topic about wargods direct3d mode (Wargods in legacy pc problem).

Gamecollector wrote:

P.S. There was an videocard than can work in Wargods d3d mode?

Yep, I have retail disc. Direct3d only worked on my older Windows95 + voodoo1, when I installed windows98 + voodoo2, direct3d screwed up (sound only, blackscreen), and it never worked again.

Dege wrote:

WarGods D3D uses point-filtered texturing so it's hard to distinguish between its software and hw rendering.

Just select "game>properties>smooth textures"

Dege wrote:

Also, last time I forgot that I patched my WarGods exe to fix black screen of its hw acceleration, if somebody interested.

A friend from another forum, Aclair, hacked dxgl to make fighting parts run with 3d card, I saw you modified exe.
Two different solutions to the same problem 🤣

*edit* I tried your fixed exe+dgvoodoo2 latest release: "Wargods error DirectDrawCreate()" 😵

Dege wrote:

Unfortunately it does not work with native DX for some reason, it always crashes with that. I tried several versions of patching but nothing worked.

I tried your fixed exe with native dx and it works flawless. thank you very much! I took the liberty to check what you modified and to add it to Aclair's wargods patch.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1511 of 3949, by Matsilagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decide to give this another try today, dgVoodoo can successfully make ReShade work on old games! (Pics below)

SWEP1_RCR_2016_02_02_23_33_06.png
SWEP1_RCR_2016_02_05_12_13_44.png

The only problem i have is that if it crashes the video driver or crashes for any reason at all, i can't run the game again on the same resolution (it will ALWAYS crash), unless i reboot (or if i run it on a different Res and it works)

Reply 1513 of 3949, by Truth Unknown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matsilagi wrote:

Decide to give this another try today, dgVoodoo can successfully make ReShade work on old games!

Sadly the shaders that use the Depth information don't work, so AO, smarter flares, heat waves and reflective bump mapping are not available to use.

Reply 1514 of 3949, by Matsilagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Truth Unknown wrote:
Matsilagi wrote:

Decide to give this another try today, dgVoodoo can successfully make ReShade work on old games!

Sadly the shaders that use the Depth information don't work, so AO, smarter flares, heat waves and reflective bump mapping are not available to use.

Huh, weird, i tested the ADOF and it worked.

Reply 1517 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Also, last time I forgot that I patched my WarGods exe to fix black screen of its hw acceleration, if somebody interested.
Unfortunately it does not work with native DX for some reason, it always crashes with that. I tried several versions of patching but nothing worked.

Let me guess... are you using win8/8.1? or geforce card maybe?
I tried 4 configurations so far:
1- win7 x64 - i7 860 - radeon hd5770 (it works OK)
2- winXP 32bit - pentium4 3ghz Prescott - radeon hd4650 (it works OK)
3- win8.1 - geforce 740m (not working, you run the game and the process closes)
4- winVista - Geforce 9300 ge (not working - http://i65.tinypic.com/14l0cav.jpg) < 🤣

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1518 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I hack Radeon's Ark from the debugger to run natively on my GeForce, a lot of bumps and reflections are missing just like on the videos I found on youtube. 😕

With dgVoodoo it looks cool now I hope

Radeon_s_Ark1_2016_02_06_16_36_23_83.jpg
Radeon_s_Ark1_2016_02_06_16_40_23_65.jpg
Radeon_s_Ark1_2016_02_06_16_40_30_25.jpg

Myloch wrote:

However I noticed the image is very blurred when compared to output produced by aqrit's ddraw wrapper. I tried changing various settings in dgvoodoo2 configuration but apparently it changes nothing.

😀
Native DXGI output...

Myloch wrote:

I'm the one who made topic about wargods direct3d mode (Wargods in legacy pc problem).

*edit* I tried your fixed exe+dgvoodoo2 latest release: "Wargods error DirectDrawCreate()" 😵

I tried your fixed exe with native dx and it works flawless. thank you very much!

Isn't it a corrupt dgVoodoo config file around, or uncopied D3DImm to the game folder or sg like that?
I checked it with 2.50 and it still worked with that. 😀
However I get a crash natively when entering a scene using 3d card.
So our situations seem to be inverse of each other. 😀

Myloch wrote:

I took the liberty to check what you modified and to add it to Aclair's wargods patch.

Ok, I can't remember exactly by heart but AFAIR I changed the code setting the execute buffer size and length of instruction list in that. One of them were too low so executing the buffer only executed the first few instructions, that's the reason of the black screen.

Myloch wrote:
Let me guess... are you using win8/8.1? or geforce card maybe? I tried 4 configurations so far: 1- win7 x64 - i7 860 - radeon hd […]
Show full quote

Let me guess... are you using win8/8.1? or geforce card maybe?
I tried 4 configurations so far:
1- win7 x64 - i7 860 - radeon hd5770 (it works OK)
2- winXP 32bit - pentium4 3ghz Prescott - radeon hd4650 (it works OK)
3- win8.1 - geforce 740m (not working, you run the game and the process closes)
4- winVista - Geforce 9300 ge (not working - http://i65.tinypic.com/14l0cav.jpg) < 🤣

I'm using various GeForces under Win7. It's strange because the crash doesn't occur in driver code but in the DX frame system so I don't understand how it works for you, but at least it works. 😀

Truth Unknown wrote:
Matsilagi wrote:

I don't know how those postprocessors acquire their data from the game (I guess they only play with the 'main depth buffer') but games with advanced graphics render into textures with additional depth buffers which I guess they can't reach or utilize.

lowenz wrote:

No way, it works only with dxwnd (no matter the compatibility mode).

I'm afraid I can't address that issue. It either gets fixed automatically thanks to another bug fix some day, or still crashes further. 🙁

Matsilagi wrote:
Decide to give this another try today, dgVoodoo can successfully make ReShade work on old games! (Pics below) […]
Show full quote

Decide to give this another try today, dgVoodoo can successfully make ReShade work on old games! (Pics below)

SWEP1_RCR_2016_02_02_23_33_06.png
SWEP1_RCR_2016_02_05_12_13_44.png

The only problem i have is that if it crashes the video driver or crashes for any reason at all, i can't run the game again on the same resolution (it will ALWAYS crash), unless i reboot (or if i run it on a different Res and it works)

What error do you get when try to launch it again after a crash?
Is the crash specific to a game or is it general?