VOGONS

First post, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I've recently found that i have 3 old sound cards. I'd like to build a computer for latter DOS games and Win9x games. The mainboard is an Aopen MK-33 with a duron 700 cpu, so i can't use ISA cards. The cards i have are:

- Sound blaster 64 AUDIO PCI 3000 (ensoniq 1370)
- Sound blaster 128 PCI CT4810
- Sound blaster live 5.1

At first i wanted to use the sb64 card, because it has 4 channels vxd driver for windows, and I tought the compatibility would be great, but in fact with the driver i used it was the worst compatibility of all the 3 cards, I could not be able to use it under pure DOS.

128 pci worked fine for games like doom and waky wheels, but i had problems when using an old version of mame for dos.

Live seems to be the most modern and compatible. I had sound with the games i tested, even with mame, but i would like to keep this card for another computer.

So here is the problem. Where could i find correct drivers for audio pci 3000 to work under ms-dos? i got mine from here:

http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm

The other option could be the integrated sound card, the mainboard is equipped with AD1885 codec from Analog Devices ac97 compatible, but i can't find the correct drivers for dos. They must exist, because the bios allows me to enable or disable the sound blaster compatibility.

But as i said before it seems they are not working and they are not able to emulate sound blaster 16.

Should i sell the sound blaster audio pci and the sound blaster 128 and get another pci card?

Another question, wich sound card do you think it would be better:
Number Nine MPVXP0010X 2Mb (VGA PCI S3 VISION968) or ATI 3D RAGE II+DVD ? I can also use a tnt2 m64 agp card but maybe that is not the best option for ms-dos.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanyero wrote:

Are you sure it's a 1370? I thought all of Creative's cards were 1371.

Try Sound Blaster PCI128 , perhaps.

but i had problems when using an old version of mame for dos.

Perhaps the problems are remedied in a newer version of MAME for DOS..?

They must exist, because the bios allows me to enable or disable the sound blaster compatibility.

Unless it says Sound Blaster capability for DOS, how can you say for sure that it does not refer to compatibility for use in Windows?

Should i sell the sound blaster audio pci and the sound blaster 128 and get another pci card?

Do you think the price of another card that you already know does what you want is worth more than the time it will take you to find a working solution with your current hardware?

Another question, wich sound card do you think it would be better:
Number Nine MPVXP0010X 2Mb (VGA PCI S3 VISION968) or ATI 3D RAGE II+DVD ? I can also use a tnt2 m64 agp card but maybe that is not the best option for ms-dos.

I would think the ATI card would cause less compatibility problems in the end, but ultimately it all depends on what, exactly, you want to do.

Reply 2 of 6, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time ago I had a s370 mainboard with onboard AD1881 codec. AFAIR it had a DOS driver and decent Soundblaster Pro compatibility. I sold that computer 9 years ago, so I cannot recall exactly if FM music worked, or only the DAC part.

Well, the driver works only with VIA digital audio controllers, which, I presume, is your case.
viados is the name.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 3 of 6, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The audiopci 3000 has an es1370 chipset for sure, as you can see in this photos:

http://imgur.com/a/RGiMN

The ac97 doesn't only allows me to enable/disable sound blaster emulation, but also the irq, dma, etc. Shouldn't the windows configuration be available in windows itself, better than in the bios? That is the reason that makes me think that the onboard card could have a DOS driver.

Thanks for your help 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The cards i have are: […]
Show full quote

The cards i have are:

- Sound blaster 128 PCI CT4810
- Sound blaster live 5.1

Forget about the first two, they do not have a proper OPL3 emulation for FM music. All Creative PCI soundcards are more or less horrible w.r.t. DOS support, the drivers require EMM386 or a similar memory manager and have compatibility problems with some older games.

The on-board audio should work with this driver: ftp://ftp.sdu.edu.tr/pub/drivers/Anakart/VIA/Audio/DOS

Cards using the ESS Solo1 sound chip are usually a better choice for DOS games. They are cheap and some have a wavetable connector which is usable in DOS as well.

Reply 5 of 6, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Drivers can be found on VIA support webpage.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)