VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to dualboot my ~old games box~ with xp or 2k since some later 90s games work faster on those. But after I install windows 2000 the geforce 2 drivers refuse to initialize, and XP just wont install (gives a c00021a after file copy, before setup starts)

Specs are as follows
Pentium III 933
AWE64 Gold
Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
2x Voodoo 2 (Mismatched, a 3DFX model and a Powercolour model, both appear to be reference design though.)
Ethernet Card
440bx Chipset.

Windows 98SE works perfectly, so does DOS and OS/2, so what gives.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

since some later 90s games work faster on those.

I have no idea what could possibly be talking about. Unless you've got tons of RAM, XP on a 933 will be quite unpleasant.

Anyway, have you tried Googling? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fo … f2-8f121118a1d1 suggests that the specifics of the error message are important. What sort of installation CD are you using? You might want to try making a slipstreamed version with the latest patches and service packs.

Reply 2 of 10, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that 2K atleast has a little bit faster opengl, not much but why not dualboot? I've used both an MSDN vanilla SP3 disk and a slipstreamed disk with all updates as of april, both broke.
TBH I would rather have XP work, but I have no idea where to even begin with that problem.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

the other message is 0x00026c.

Perhaps you can try restoring win32k.sys, as discussed in that link?

SRQ wrote:

Same drive, split into two 15gb partitions, since 2K or even OS/2 has no problem installing to the second partition I don't see why XP would.

And yet, here we are.

You should try hiding the first partition (which should be trivial with any disk-management utility) and see if that makes any difference. You can also try changing which partition is marked as Active.

Are both of the partitions primary partitions, or is one of them a logical partition inside of an extended partition?

Reply 8 of 10, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They are both primary, I use Partition Magic 8 for my dual booting.
I'll try that, but I'm installing clean so I don't see how it will help.

E: Honestly I would rather fix 2k, but the XP error might lend a clue to what's wrong with 2K.

Reply 9 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could try removing all your addin cards then installing
can you get another copy of xp (incase it is corrupted)

ps: 2 primary partitions ?
I would try 1 primary 1 extended and 1 logical drive on the extended partition

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

ps: 2 primary partitions ?
I would try 1 primary 1 extended and 1 logical drive on the extended partition

There's no need to bother with that when there are only two partitions, particularly because it makes it more difficult to multi-boot. ("Primary" is something of a misnomer.)