ATI experimentation

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:

Assault Rigs ATI works fine at 1920x1200. I played the first couple of levels with keyboard because the game doesn't pickup my PS3 controller. Should be easy to fix with xpadder.

Very cool.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, creator of GLRage here. 😀 I also would like to find out whether or not Wipeout is working, so if anyone is willing to help, just PM me.

Edit: got a copy now

Besides Assault Rigs and Tomb Raider, some of the demos in the SDK are working, too. They're a bit bugged, since most of them use Rage Pro features that never really found their way into actual games, so I haven't bothered yet to implement everything. I'm mostly interested in supporting ATI exclusives or Windows ports of DOS games that haven't been ported elsewhere. As far as I can tell from the 3D Accelerated Games List, only Wipeout is missing on that list, but I don't know most of the other ATI titles, so I can't tell for sure.

Last edited by barracuda415 on 2015-11-13, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 48, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Test others windows AtiCIF games: Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, Deathtrap Dungeon, Pod, Time Warriors, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. They are much easier to find.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 24 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the look of it, most of them provide alternative rendering paths that usually also work better than the ATI path. I can definitely try some of them, but it's not topmost priority right now.

I already have tested POD, but it turns out that the ATI path is mostly a software renderer with just a few 3D effects layered on top, so even with the wrapper, it would always render in 640x480 and then just upscale the result to the current resolution. The game also switches the thread during initialization, which is messing up OpenGL.

Reply 25 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
barracuda415 wrote:

Hello everyone, creator of GLRage here. 😀 I also would like to find out whether or not Wipeout is working, so if anyone is willing to help, just PM me.

Edit: got a copy now

So does it work? Planning on making it work?

I ordered a copy and it would be nice not to have to order a ATI Rage card to play it.

Reply 26 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's working fairly well, although the graphics output is a bit bugged. Some polygons are missing here and there. Still have to find out which ones are caused by the game and which by the wrapper.

NvEabFxm.jpg
vER4skCm.jpg

It doesn't look as good in the current version r1, but I'm already working on r2.

Reply 27 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a few videos on youtube for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG3hd1humM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1oEpUs5fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhS5CQp5Xs

RetroCompaqGuy also posts here so he might be able to help you.

Fantastic news btw, can't wait to try this port.

Reply 28 of 48, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Yep, RetroCompaqGuy = vetz.

Welcome to the forums BTW, barracuda415 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
There's a few videos on youtube for comparison: […]
Show full quote

There's a few videos on youtube for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG3hd1humM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1oEpUs5fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhS5CQp5Xs

Fantastic news btw, can't wait to try this port.

Yep, got these videos for comparison already. And I also got a retro rig with an ATI Xpert 98 graphics card, although it's unfortunately not working as good as a "real" Rage Pro, since it refuses to cooperate with the atir3 drivers that are bundled with Windows 98 and as a result, I often get the color glitches that are shown here. But as far as I can tell, some objects in Wipeout are indeed partially rendered and it's only happening in the wrapper. Also, the polygons wobble around a lot as a result of imprecise integer-based matrix operations, so there's still some work to be done. Assault Rigs also has this wobbliness problem, but it's less severe there.

Stiletto wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Yep, RetroCompaqGuy = vetz.

Welcome to the forums BTW, barracuda415 😀

Hi Stiletto, already got some good help from that guy. 😀

Reply 30 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I got Wipeout, but it only plays the intro FMV and crashes when I get to the menus? Did you run into the same or have any ideas?

Edit: regedit the movie path to be the install path. don't actually put fmv there, game starts.

Seems like a pretty good port actually. Please keep working on it until it's running perfectly on newer PCs.

Reply 31 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've fixed several issues with Wipeout in GLRage r4: No more crashes when the intro video plays, no missing polygons, no missing background images and the signal lights and power-up plates are now colored correctly. 😀

NvWjowYm.jpg
5HpEZJ0m.jpg

Reply 33 of 48, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
barracuda415 wrote:

I've fixed several issues with Wipeout in GLRage r4: No more crashes when the intro video plays, no missing polygons, no missing background images and the signal lights and power-up plates are now colored correctly. 😀]

Out of the blue question: Is this a game that doesn't work well with newer hardware and runs well on a Rage 128? I'm always looking for such "interesting" games 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 34 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
barracuda415 wrote:

I've fixed several issues with Wipeout in GLRage r4: No more crashes when the intro video plays, no missing polygons, no missing background images and the signal lights and power-up plates are now colored correctly. 😀]

Out of the blue question: Is this a game that doesn't work well with newer hardware and runs well on a Rage 128? I'm always looking for such "interesting" games 🤣

It's a game that's only hardware accelerated on a very specific range of ATI cards (there's a software only DOS version). So for now, yes.

Once barracuda415 fixes the subpixel vertex accuracy problem then it'll run much better on newer hardware than anything period accurate.

Reply 35 of 48, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's very cool!

Got to get myself that game CD and check it out one day. I quite enjoyed Wipeout on the PSX back im the day.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 36 of 48, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That's very cool!

Got to get myself that game CD and check it out one day. I quite enjoyed Wipeout on the PSX back im the day.

You should probably set up automated eBay search or something. It's somewhat rare.

Reply 38 of 48, by barracuda415

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Once barracuda415 fixes the subpixel vertex accuracy problem then it'll run much better on newer hardware than anything period accurate.

Well, I don't think I can fix that one. I've spend many hours in the debugger trying to find out where exactly the vertices are snapped to a 320x240 grid, but apparently, it's not just a function parameter or variable that can simply be changed for better results like in Tomb Raider. I'm not really an expert in the math that is involved to calculate the vertex positions and even less and expert in the assembly used to implement it. I found parameters like the rendering distance, the FOV, the rendering scale, both for the UI and the 3D world and the resolution table and various numbers that look like hard-coded resolutions, but no matter what parameters I change, the vertices are always snapped on that damn grid. The assembly is also a mess, the vertex data is converted from int16 to int32 to float or double, back to int16 and then to float again and there's also tons of dead code for Playstation everywhere.

RoyBatty wrote:

I have MechWarrior 2 ATI if you need it.

I found a patch for the Intel version of MechWarrior, but I can't even get to the menu on modern systems. If you have the original CD, then maybe I should give it a try.

Reply 39 of 48, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC, MW2 needs Windows 95 compatability mode and a patch/shim. XP should be no trouble, and Vista/7 requires a different patchset than MW2Hook/XP patch. (>=8 won't go - my suspicion is mandatory DWM.)

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98