VOGONS

First post, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently saw where a guy was selling Tom Clancy's SSN old win 95 game with a compatibility CD guaranteed to, with one click, work on XP, 7, and 8, even says the game tho 16 bit, would work with 64 bit systems. What
a clever idea. I have the game, but like a bunch of folks can not run the game on my system even us using various compatibility settings. I emailed the guy to see if he would consider selling just the compatibility CD, he was, but, unfortunately, &29 bucks is just a wee steep for my pockets on Social Security.

Apparently, he codes the CD himself and says he can code one for any old game of my choice. This guy is got to be a wizard of apps. I'm thinking, if he can do that, than there's got be somebody out there who can do it too. And where better to look then here.

Can any of you guys possibly tell me how this is done? And is it possible to do without being a master coder?

I don't want knock the guys hustle, but assuming he's on the up and up, and it appears he is, I think that that's a bit steep for what he's offering. You guys here offer so much more to gamers just for the love of the game, never asking for a cent. "Sharing is Caring."

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the game but if it uses a 16bit installer then this link would probably help:
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Pretty much all of the 16bit installer games I have I've ripped them out of their installers a long time ago and backed up their registry when needed so I haven't ran into a need for the above link.

I don't see anything on the "up and up" about this "compatibility CD". I guess I just don't have any business sense though when "common sense" says I should charge for all the free help I give.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-CLANCYS-SSN-1Clic … l-/230857196288
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p20476 … cat=0&_from=R40

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I guess I just don't have any business sense though when "common sense" says I should charge for all the free help I give.

And me for all of the new installers that I have provided for free. What he is doing is quite a bit easier as he dealing with only the version he is selling. My installers have to take into account as many different versions that I can track down and anticipate all of the ways a user might screw up using them. That aside, I know exactly the seller he is talking about. He has kind of ticked me off when he has offered a game that I have been looking for and has jacked up the price half again what it should be by including a simple installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hats off to you guys--two of the truly anointed. Certain there's a berth for the two of yous is Level Heaven.

Firstly, I take it an 'installer' is what this guy and you two have familiarity with. Not being a coder I had no idea what that was. I'l try to wade through the lingo and hopefully come up with something useful. Hope you don't mind if I hit back with some question should I get stuck, which is as certain as rain.
Lastly, what I meant about being on the up is that this guy was not bogus, running a gag. Seeing he's offed a number of these installers, and manages a 99.9% rating. Somebody's happy with his product.

OK. Thanks. Keep it real, talk to ya soon...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
papalou wrote:
Recently saw where a guy was selling Tom Clancy's SSN old win 95 game with a compatibility CD guaranteed to, with one click, wor […]
Show full quote

Recently saw where a guy was selling Tom Clancy's SSN old win 95 game with a compatibility CD guaranteed to, with one click, work on XP, 7, and 8, even says the game tho 16 bit, would work with 64 bit systems. What
a clever idea. I have the game, but like a bunch of folks can not run the game on my system even us using various compatibility settings. I emailed the guy to see if he would consider selling just the compatibility CD, he was, but, unfortunately, &29 bucks is just a wee steep for my pockets on Social Security.

Apparently, he codes the CD himself and says he can code one for any old game of my choice. This guy is got to be a wizard of apps. I'm thinking, if he can do that, than there's got be somebody out there who can do it too. And where better to look then here.

Can any of you guys possibly tell me how this is done? And is it possible to do without being a master coder?

If it's really a 16-bit game (and not a 32-bit game with a 16-bit installer), then pretty much the only way it will get running on a 64-bit computer with a "compatibility CD" is with a virtual machine of some sort.

Cynical as I am, I am inclined to believe that the "CD he coded himself" that can be "coded for any old game of your choice" contains a pirated copy of Win9x, or possibly DOSBox with a pirated copy of Win 3.x. Of course, it's possible he's resorted to a customized Linux distro of some sort with WINE installed. Or maybe he really is a wizard who has coded something amazing from scratch when no one else has maanged.

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He sold a copy of Tex Murphy Overseer using DOSBox. I am unaware of any DOS version of it. I suspect that you are right in that he is including a a pirated copy of Windows with these Windows games. I have been tempted before to get one of his Sierra games to see if he is using my resources, but it would be interesting to see how legitimate his games are, but have no desire to hand him money.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/6 … rking-on-DOSbox

I'm guessing this was the solution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSOFT-SPACE-SIMUL … l-/231006106351

Only $59.95

grrrrr

Wonder if we could use the money donated to DOSBox to purchase a copy of one of these games to rip it apart (especially the 16bit Windows ones) or have GOG look into it to get the companies who have rights to those games to put them on GOG.

https://www.google.com/#q=%221Click+XP+Vista+ … tall%22&start=0
http://www.ebay.com/usr/allvideo

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been wondering about this guy for a while now, myself. At first he was only doing games that I had already written an installer for, but has since moved on to other things.He is also selling Windows only games that he claims he converts to DOS games. I had thought about buying one of his games to see what he id doing, but didn't want to give him any money.