Nuked OPL3 emulator

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: Nuked OPL3 emulator

Postby nukeykt » 2016-5-13 @ 11:45

Stretch wrote:Does Nuked OPL3 emu have a rockbox port? Would it be faster than dosbox or MAME OPL on portable audio players?

No, it doesn't. And my emulator slower than DOSBox and MAME, i haven't done any big optimizations in code, because my goal is accuracy to real YMF262.
nukeykt

Postby Wohlstand » 2016-6-14 @ 20:26

I tried to use your emulator in libADLMIDI instead of pre-used DosBox's and I played some MIDI files with DOOM banks, and I hear a some different sound of Hi-Hats in comparison with my real Sound Blaster 16 which I have at me, even I tried to play with no resampling with 49716 hz sample rate. Anyway, real SB has louder bass (in comparison to both DosBox's and your). But I think, I'll try to power on my machine with SB-16 and I'll try to record something to compare
Wohlstand

Postby nukeykt » 2016-6-15 @ 03:44

Try out git build of Chocolate Doom. It uses my Nuked OPL3 enulator and has very accurate OPL driver(i_oplmusic.c) compared to DOS Doom.
nukeykt

Postby Wohlstand » 2016-12-06 @ 10:30

I think, yea, even in ZDoom hi-hats are sounding fine and seems need a small calibration of that thing. I will add it to be macro-switchable (I using libADLMIDI also on Android phones where optimization is very recommended to don't eat CPU and battery, I built a little player for myself to listen MIDIs without pre-rendering them into OGGs with ability to toggle banks and chip properties which I very like to do, even I editing MIDI-files and changing their instruments and producing some remakes or arranges to listen them more convenient or just improve quality of partiture itself, because previous composer was too lazy to write a good orchestra partiture with all necessary expressions)

EDIT: Thanks for the reply at GitHub (https://github.com/Wohlstand/libADLMIDI/issues/2, a fourth reply), reason was a wrong bend coefficient, so, hi-hats are sounding perfect! :cool:
Wohlstand

Postby HunterZ » 2017-4-05 @ 05:13

Just tried this via DOSBox ECE SVN r4007, and it doesn't fare any better at Wizardry 7's perverted use of the OPL2 as a DAC. Is this a DOSBox mixer limitation or an OPL emulation limitation?
HunterZ
l33t++

Postby Jepael » 2017-4-05 @ 08:54

HunterZ wrote:Just tried this via DOSBox ECE SVN r4007, and it doesn't fare any better at Wizardry 7's perverted use of the OPL2 as a DAC. Is this a DOSBox mixer limitation or an OPL emulation limitation?

It's been a while since I last checked, but most likely cause is that the OPL chip emulation code is told to render several samples per call, so it's not the fault of the chip emulation itself.
Emulating PCM output would require to have the register writes to affect each output sample immediately.

Related to this, I've heard some weird sound issues on at least one Sierra game, like a sound playing for a brief moment at incorrect volume/octave/pitch or something, which only means a block of emulated sound is generated while game is in the middle of updating the chip registers. Fortunately, this is not an issue on most of the OPL stuff.
Jepael
Oldbie

Postby NewRisingSun » 2017-4-05 @ 13:03

DOSBox-X has the sampleaccurate option, which permits emulation of samples-via-OPL.

One of my more quixotic plans is to rewrite DOSBox' mixer using the blip_buffer library, which allows for a clean way to handle such cases, supports equalization, filters and reverb, and allows for very exact yet simple emulation of advanced PC speaker techniques. The filter support would permit emulating the SBPro's selectable filter, and equalization and reverb would provide a simple way to implement support for the Adlib Gold's surround board.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby HunterZ » 2017-4-06 @ 02:15

Last I checked, DOSBox-X is broken such that D-Fend Reloaded won't work with it, so I haven't messed with it.

Would love to see Adlib Gold emulation. Dune was supposedly made with it in mind.
HunterZ
l33t++

Previous

Return to PC Emulation