VOGONS

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I couldn't find this in a search, I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with the 'experimental' 3d acceleration in VB.
I'm working with the latest version 4.3, with the guest additions installed and well as the extension pack.
The guest is XP Pro x86 and host Win 7 x64.
As advised by the VB guide, I installed the guest additions in safe mode and enabled 3d before rebooting the guest, but am unable to get any kind of 3D, whereas others on the net appear to have succeeded.
Has anyone actually had any luck with this?

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 1 of 16, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIR i installed a Win2000 machine with the 'experimental' 3D support a few years ago and had no problems at all.
I played Simon the Sorcerer 3D on it and it just worked.
Have you installed the guest addons?
Gave the VM 256+MB video RAM?
DirectX?

My YouTube Channel

Reply 2 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, not all versions of DirectX are supported on host systems. It seems that only DirectX 8, 9 and OpenGL interfaces are supported. That means that many older apps won't work or work only with software rendering.

Try running dxdiag and go to Display, and push the "Test Direct3D" button. In a real computer, it should show some dancing cubes. Under Virtualbox the first test should fail (sorry, no DirectX 7 here) but the others (DirectX 8 and 9) should work.

If that test works and your game don't work, maybe your game uses an unsupported DirectX version.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Holering wrote:

Think the best option is vga passthrough via Linux.

Are you suggesting that the VM can access the video card hardware directly? I didn't think that was possible.

Reply 5 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KVM and ESX can. Haven't kept track of QEMU but it would make since if it did since QEMU uses KVM.

I thought FF7 was patched to work fine in modern windows? and then there was the re-release of the game on Steam as well.

and there's always the PS version of it.

Not sure why the "best option" would be passthru.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 16, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Try running dxdiag and go to Display, and push the "Test Direct3D" button. In a real computer, it should show some dancing cubes. Under Virtualbox the first test should fail (sorry, no DirectX 7 here) but the others (DirectX 8 and 9) should work.

Yes, that's exactly what happened, but I still can't get 'experimental' 3D.
It's not a big issue; I'm simply curious to see if it works.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 7 of 16, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Holering wrote:

Think the best option is vga passthrough via Linux.

Are you suggesting that the VM can access the video card hardware directly? I didn't think that was possible.

Yes, but only if your system supports VT-d.

Reply 8 of 16, by Holering

User metadata
DosFreak wrote:

I thought FF7 was patched to work fine in modern windows? and then there was the re-release of the game on Steam as well.

Worked fine on Native Windows 7 64-bit on my end. But I couldn't with Windows XP virtualized guest in VirtualBox, using VirtualBox's hardware accelerated 3D on my end.

DosFreak wrote:

and there's always the PS version of it.

Final Fantasy 8 and stuttering sound ...?

DosFreak wrote:

Not sure why the "best option" would be passthru.....

If virtualizing, I think vga passthrough is the best option because you get native GPU hardware-speed available. Right now it seems extremely iffy however and that does suck (I still haven't got it working)...

Reply 9 of 16, by D'Ace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi eberyone, how about Microsoft Virtual pc?? I mean, i'm trying to emulate a 3d card in Win 95 OSR2, wich i have instaled under Microsoft Virtual PC (host machine has windows 7 and my video card is a Asus EAH6850 1gb DDR5). I'm trying to fly F-16 agressor, and it simply doesnt detect any 3d accelerated card.

What can i do? Should I try installing any voodoo 3, 4 or 5 drivers?

A wrapper should work (i need to execute it under win95)?

Thanks a lot!!

Reply 10 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, nope, and nope. Virtual PC has, to my knowledge, never provided 3D acceleration to "guest" operating systems, and there is no virtual machine that offers 3D acceleration to Win9x; no installation of wrappers or drivers will fix that. The closest you can get are specialized builds of DOSBox, and maybe Bochs or QEMU as suggested above, but those are still bleeding-edge.

A better question is, why can't you run this game under Windows 7 directly?

Reply 11 of 16, by D'Ace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ni jorpho, i tries these ganes under w7 and no success. The games are iMagic f-22 And f-18, and ign f-16 Aggressor (this oNE has a poligonal issue in the sky). I try to make them run in win95 or 98, the OS they were madre for. So, it's impossible running 3d games unddr virtual machines??
Thanks

Reply 13 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
D'Ace wrote:

i tries these ganes under w7 and no success.

Please don't say things like that; it's not helpful at all. Do the games start up? Do you get some kind of error message?

(Also, please try to spell correctly.)

I try to make them run in win95 or 98, the OS they were madre for.

If it works in Windows 7, then there is no need to run them in Win95 or 98. As DosFreak suggests, you can probably get them to run in Windows 7 without a virtual machine by using nGlide.

So, it's impossible running 3d games unddr virtual machines?

It is sometimes possible to get 3D games to run in Windows XP (or possibly Windows 2000) in a virtual machine, but not in Win9x in a virtual machine.

Reply 14 of 16, by D'Ace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the spelling mistakes, my google keyboard was trying to correct my words all the time (it is set in spanish language), now i', writting from my PC and not my tablet. Ok, what I tryed to explain is that i have some old games (win 95 period) wich I couldn't start even in windows xp, at least i was not able to run them, so they were in my desk's drawer for some years. Once i have moved to Win 7, I felt astonished when i noticed there were software to emulate old OS with great quality, and I spent a whole weekend installing old glories as Win 95, Win 98 SE and even Win 3.1 on DOS 6. I almost cry...

And now the challenge. The games i mentioned above, i-Magic simulators, were made for Win95 / Win 98. I was never able to fly them on XP. What if i could install and run them in a virtual machine??? and this is my golden dream for the moment. With F-16 Aggressor the issue is different, since i moved to XP many years ago i observed a problem in the sky, polygons are without any texture and the effect is awful. My hope is that under Win 95 / 98 maybe the problem be solved....

And this is the big story of my last week. Sorry for the inconvenience, i just thought that virtual machines were made to emulate SO with all their capabilities. Now i'm trying with Oracle Virtualbox and Win 95, but i can't activate 3D acceleration maybe i guess for the same reason Jorpho tells us in the post above.

If anyone knows how to activate 3D Acc. in Win 95, please please please let me know. My first simulators (yes, i'm a simmer) experiences were with this OS and a Voodoo 3. Wonderful years..

Reply 15 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
D'Ace wrote:

wich I couldn't start even in windows xp

I have already asked: what exactly happens when you try to start them in XP or Windows 7? There are many programs that were "made for Win 95 / Win 98" that still run in XP or Windows 7, although it sometimes takes a little effort. But it is difficult to say what you should do if you cannot say what problems you are having.