VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to get the MS-DOS 6.22 OAKCDROM.SYS(dated 1993-1996, V340) driver working with my CD-ROM emulation, but when it loads the driver, it tells the name of the drive (BANANA) with the cursor stopping right after that (to the right of the final A of BANANA). Anyone knows why it stops there? I'm using a 80186 CPU (in my emulator).

My emulator source code:
http://bitbucket.org/superfury/x86emu.git

IDE ATA-1/CDROM emulation is at /hardware/ide.c

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've tried debugging the driver. It gives an invalid opcode exception (which keeps retriggering because the BIOS or MS-DOS refuses to handle it fully). It tries to execute opcode 66h(The 80286+ operand size prefix byte opcode. I'm running a 80186 processor, so it doesn't exist on that processor).

Is there a IDE CD-ROM driver that runs on a 80(1)86 processor?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 2 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you want a cdrom driver that supports a 8086
considering cdroms came out at roughly the same time as the 486 I dont think you'll find one

Maybe vogons should host a new section called "superfurry's this hardware/software doesnt work with my 8086 emulator"

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Afaik CD-ROMs are SCSI devices. Would a 8086 SCSI driver detect the CD-ROM IDE drive? Are there any 8086 SCSI drivers? (Atm two SCSI commands are supported: Get capacity and Read sectors(essentially a modified ATA read sectors command with 2048 byte sectors instead of 512 byte sectors))

Edit: What SCSI commands are mandatory in a CD/DVD-ROM drive? Should all CD/DVD drivers be able to work with those implemented?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
superfury wrote:

What SCSI commands are mandatory in a CD/DVD-ROM drive? Should all CD/DVD drivers be able to work with those implemented?

See if this helps
http://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/406