Future of VMware Workstation

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

251,95 EUR for a license just to run Windows 98?

Insane, isn't it? But VMWare is not targeting retro-gamers, it's a serious business in corporate environments. But there's always VirtualBox mentioned above, I'd dare to say equally good to "just install some old OS and try some games" and free.

Reply 21 of 23, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Thanks excellent, I wonder why this doesn't come up more often on VOGONS.

Because VMware Workstation is quite expensive and there are many free alternatives.

Including VMware Player, what I use.

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 22 of 23, by CletusSpuckler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kisai wrote:

The games that work the best are those that were originally operational in windowed mode. Anything that went full screen tends to have the same relative mouse problem.

Are you using a USB mouse? Try the PS2 port if you have one. That's what use on a Gigabyte Z97 UD5H and have had no problems " yet" in full screen.

Reply 23 of 23, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, I've given up on VMWare. VirtualBox does everything I need it to do perfectly. I can even run Microprose's Magic: The Gathering flawlessly, and that's a pain in the rear to get working properly. Of course, you do need to use a third-party graphics driver for Win95/98, and data transfer between the VM and your actual OS is still a painfully slow process, but it works beautifully once it's set up.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor