NTVDM on windows 10 x64

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 89, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
superfury wrote on 2022-10-15, 09:46:

It was20 years ago, at least. How is that "not too distant" ?

Reply 81 of 89, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-10-15, 20:07:
superfury wrote on 2022-10-15, 09:46:

It was20 years ago, at least. How is that "not too distant" ?

If you look at the "examples by microsoft" part of the article, I see:
- 2007 mentioned.
- Enforcing MAPI that's proprietary (2020).
- WSL2 is mentioned (which still probably performs EEE through it's DirectX components afaik today).

And DirectX is definitely proprietary (confirmed by looking at https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-ports-direc … tes-wsl-kernel/ , which clearly requires Windows to run). So that's the second E of EEE right there.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 83 of 89, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-10-16, 13:28:

WSL2 uses a real Linux kernel and HyperV, no relation to DirectX...

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-heart-linux/

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 85 of 89, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-10-16, 14:15:

Still nothing to do with EEE, since Linux is entirely distributed and open-source...

Well, D3D isn't. It provides the .so which links back to the Windows (closed-source) OS.
Is that even allowed with Linux licenses (GPLv2)? Or does that fall into the binary -blob-that-needs-to-be-updated-for-every -linux-kernel-release category that's allowed (and will break when updating kernels)?
That's pretty clearly already the second E(extend) of EEE.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 86 of 89, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's allowed by the GPLv2, just like the blob for the nvidia linux kernel driver...

It also won't extend anything, it's not like you can use that on native Linux...

Reply 88 of 89, by leecher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then open windows defender, chose to restore the files from quarantine and add to the exclution list. so that it leaves it alone.
Alternatively, disable Windows defender during download, unpack .zip file and add unpack directory to the exclusion list before reenabling Windows Defender.
The installer script then tries to add the loaders to the exclusion list itself, but first, it's mandatory that the files remain in place, so that they can be installed, of course.

Microsoft is notorious for not even add the loader to their false positive list, when they are requested to do so and I cannot write them everytime I make a loader update. So nothing I can do about the false positive detection of crappy AV-programs.

Reply 89 of 89, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-10-16, 15:29:

It's allowed by the GPLv2, just like the blob for the nvidia linux kernel driver...

It also won't extend anything, it's not like you can use that on native Linux...

First off, my apologies for not replying to you earlier, I totally missed your reply.

Second, that's precisely the point. You can only use it on WSL2, hence the EEE claim.