VOGONS

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all ! Althogh I have a lot of PCs from 8088 to P-III - there's need sometimes in a good emulator... Recently tried PC-EM and PC-em-x... Not bad, but no FPU option in 8088-386 modes... What is good besides it... ? It must emulate, first of all, a 286 machine WITH FPU, from AT 5170/6mhz to fast 16-20mhz machines...

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Jorpho I use them on some of my 286's to accelerate AutoSketch, Windows 3.1 and WinFract.
They're also nice for old raytracers. Of course, a 486 will also do the job. Can't think of an x87 accelerated, but 286-only software either.
Perhaps the OP is using a speed sensitive software with a 16bit extender ? Or an old OS like OS/2 1.x or Xenix ?

leileilol wrote:

There's also the relatively obscure Soviet PC-XT emulator.

Oh, that's the same author who made Script PC! I successfully ran Win 3.1 on that emulator in 286 mode.
However, VGA didn't work for me (missing BIOSes ?). I used CGA or Hercules instead.

keenerb wrote:

There was an FPU emulator (em87?) for 186+. Might work with Dosbox/PC-EM

Yup, I remember "EMUL87". It's in my collection, too. I got it with manual and floppy from a german ebay seller.
You can get a copy here. If you want the opposite - you want to "disable" an existing co-processor, look for an utility named "hide87".

Attachments

• pix01.jpg
    Filename
    pix01.jpg
    File size
    25.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    EMUL87 (PD) package
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • pix02.jpg
    Filename
    pix02.jpg
    File size
    20.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    EMUL87 (PD) printed manual and 5.25" diskquette
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 9, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What exactly do you want to run that requires a 286 machine with FPU?

I'm just trying to learn Assm and the arhchitecture of old PC's and I want an emulator in my modern laptop behave exactly as my 286-20 real machine - to exchange files from it to emulator - to work on real hardware at home and in emulator, being on the road)

Jorpho wrote:

Have you considered Bochs?

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ScoutPilot19 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

What exactly do you want to run that requires a 286 machine with FPU?

I'm just trying to learn Assm and the arhchitecture of old PC's and I want an emulator in my modern laptop behave exactly as my 286-20 real machine - to exchange files from it to emulator - to work on real hardware at home and in emulator, being on the road)

Jorpho wrote:

Have you considered Bochs?

Ah okay, sounds cool! 😀
Btw, There were also tiny laptops with 80188 processors/µC (called "Palmtop PCs" by our ancestors).
I know, they aren't quite the same as real 286 machines (long-time 286 user here!) but from a real-mode point-of-view they are quite capable (asm..).

List of DOS-based palmtop computers
http://www.tankraider.com/DOSPALMTOP/list.html

Alternatively, if you want to go the emulation route, there's another solution for PalmOS/Win(CE) devices.
It features 8088-80286 emulation and also has an optional i80387 FPU emulator plug-in available for download.

Have a look at my post from this thread (beware, shameless self-advertisment here! 😁 ):
Re: Handheld PC's: What happened to them?

The only other emulators left I know of are MESS and MAME. Maybe some of them do emulate a PC/AT compatible model that's useful for you.
Other emulators like qemu or bochs are also worth a try. However. I don't know whether these are cycle-exact or not. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MAME is definitely worth a look. Not sure if it meets ScoutPilot19's needs, but definitely worth a look. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto