VOGONS

XP not starting

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jjim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted the following in the windows forum several days ago and got no replies - the same thing has happened again - i was unable to boot from safe mode but could boot from debugging mode - here my soundcard drivers and directx version were both older ones -I have used glidos and not installed or uninstalled anything since the last time this happened.
Please if someone could give me an idea on what may have caused this and how to stop it i would be very grateful. Also what is the difference between safe mode and debugging mode?
Thanks .

I have the following system
win xp pro
pentium 4 2.66
512 ram
geforce 4 mx440
Hard drive in 2 partitions : c and e
sblive 5.1
vdm sound 2.04 with update and launcher
latest drivers for all
I have found xp much more stable and with no bsod's like my old 98 system.I have never had a problem on start up until yesterday:
I had spent most of the day reading through these forums and links from them and installing and uninstalling different glide wrappers.I had performed a virus scan in the morning with the latest norton antivirus dats installed- all ok.At the end of the day alll was well.
On startup the next day my computer froze at the blue "windows is starting up " (just before the welcome screen). I tried rebooting several times with the same result- locking up at the same screen.The omly way i could get my computer running was to run norton ghost and load a restore ghost image stored on my second partition.
Please could someone try and answer the following:
1. Any idea why this happened and what may have caused it?
2. If this happens again is there a way to get past the frozen screen?
3. I have an xp boot disc - which i believe boots in to pc- dos. using this i get a black sreen with the a: prompt. If i use this how do i load windows from the a: prompt i.e. how do you start windows using the boot disc?
Any help would be really appreciated.
thanks

Reply 1 of 1, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Multiposted. Locked.

Original thread here: Freezing at boot up in xp

In the future, please only post once. And give the forum readers more time! 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen