VOGONS

First post, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried windows xp with a k6 2+ 500mhz and the performance was soo bad, it was unusable so i've installed windows 98 SE with an emulation of a pentium 233 MMX in it but the performance is not good, the sound stutters often and even crashed to the desktop when playing the neverhood wich is a game from 1996... i have a ryzen 5 2700x, 16gb ram so how can this be not enough for running a win98? what's the problem with pcem?

Reply 1 of 3, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not PCem's fault...
It's not a VM, but an emulator, it emulates a whole PC.
Try setting the emulated CPU to a 120 MMX model, your Ryzen will handle that one just fine.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think your subject line is needlessly provocative.

ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2020-10-28, 21:21:

playing the neverhood wich is a game from 1996

Are you aware that The Neverhood is playable in ScummVM? ScummVM should run just about anywhere without any problems.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should also mention The Neverhood works fine here. The only case I can see it not working is if you've used a video card that doesn't have DirectX support at all (like one of the emulated exotic early SVGA cards from 91-93). Also Neverhood can work fine on P100's and the like, so probably drop down to that before writing off a fully blown software emulator of a computer as "useless"...

apsosig.png
long live PCem