VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my first time using the MIDI Player (Falcosoft MIDI Player) and Roland UM-ONE MIDI Device with my retro 486 PC. I have the MIDI Player setup and the UM-ONE Device installed. I also have the MT-32 / Yamaha / etc various soundfont files. I have the device hooked up to my 486 's Soundblaster. I also have an audio cable from the audio out of my Thin Client (with MIDI Player installed) to the line in of my Soundblaster. How do I actually use the various soundfonts with a game? Take Doom for example, what do I need to do to use a soundfont / plugin in the MIDI Player so that it plays the DOOM Music in the game?

Appreciate any help. This full setup is new to me. I've tried it before but never got to the point of actually running it. Im ready to now and want to see what all it can do!

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to make sure my understanding is correct.
You have a couple of SoundFonts (i.e., files in either the *.sbk or *.sf2 format) that you would like to utilise?

Not sure why you would want to go this route, but if you have a Sound Blaster AWE32, SB32 or Sound Blaster AWE64, then you can just use one of those sound cards in your 486 PC to playback any MIDI files (or in game music) after loading the relevant soundfont under Windows.

If you want to go the route that you explained, have a look at these videos from Philscomputerlab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvuncHhza5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8

Reply 2 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote on 2020-12-21, 10:50:

This is my first time using the MIDI Player (Falcosoft MIDI Player) and Roland UM-ONE MIDI Device with my retro 486 PC. I have the MIDI Player setup and the UM-ONE Device installed. I also have the MT-32 / Yamaha / etc various soundfont files. I have the device hooked up to my 486 's Soundblaster. I also have an audio cable from the audio out of my Thin Client (with MIDI Player installed) to the line in of my Soundblaster. How do I actually use the various soundfonts with a game? Take Doom for example, what do I need to do to use a soundfont / plugin in the MIDI Player so that it plays the DOOM Music in the game?

Appreciate any help. This full setup is new to me. I've tried it before but never got to the point of actually running it. Im ready to now and want to see what all it can do!

Hi,
If I remember correctly you have already asked a similar question in SC-VA topic and you have already been given the address of Phil's tutorial video (referenced above by Jesolo).
The part that discuss soundfont setup is from 9:20
https://youtu.be/vSk9S1bkRS8?t=560

To sum it up: for using soundfonts you just have to enable Bassmidi in Device settings dialog and select your desired SF2 soundfont file as Default Soundfont. That's it.
But it would be easier if you asked more specific questions and also you told us what you set up successfully so far and what was where you failed.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 5, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand the setup and I have that part done. What I am asking is how once I have the game open, how do I set the game to use the MIDI Player and do I need to do anything on the MIDI PLayer (like click Play) to get it working on the game. Yes, Phil does an amazing job at showing setup and loading the fonts and I've watched those, I just dont know the last step, what to do in a game to get it working....Forgive my ignorance.

Reply 4 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote on 2020-12-21, 13:00:

I understand the setup and I have that part done. What I am asking is how once I have the game open, how do I set the game to use the MIDI Player and do I need to do anything on the MIDI PLayer (like click Play) to get it working on the game. Yes, Phil does an amazing job at showing setup and loading the fonts and I've watched those, I just dont know the last step, what to do in a game to get it working....Forgive my ignorance.

In games you have to select General Midi, Sound Canvas or similar option. In Doom specifically you should set General Midi as Music device and Sound Blaster as Sound FX device (although Sound Canvas would also work as Music device but Doom does not use GS specific instruments so GM is just enough). Then the game should send Midi messages through your UM-ONE to Midi Player (where UM-ONE is already should be selected as Midi In device). If it works then you can see as the 'Midi In' counter increases on Midi Player's interface and you should also hear music. At first I would not use a cable back to your retro PC but make sure that everything sounds as expected. It's because if the DOS mixer settings are not right it's possible that you do not hear anything even if your Midi related settings work OK.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper