VOGONS

First post, by CaptBlackwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Programs & Users,

I've recently caught the Retro Gaming bug due to stumbling accross PhilsComputerLab & Lazy Game Reviews. I'm in the process of setting up PCem/86box with 3 eras of virtual computers.

1) 486 - to cover 1990 (or earlier) to 1994
2) Pentium - to cover 1995 - 1997(ish)
3) Pentium II - to cover 1998 - 2000 (if possible)

What would be a proper sound card for each era. I'm tempted to use the SB16 for all three since the drivers work out of the box after install. SB pro 2.0 runs in dos but not windows 3.11 (I think it's an IRQ issue on the card/windows front) for the 486 era.

Additional recommendations would be welcome since I'm open to testing all of this out. Also, if I swap cards, is it possible to remove the drivers w/o having to rebuild the machine or reinstall the os?

Reply 1 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A SB16 could work in any of those computers, and people with limited budget could keep their SB16 for even a Pentium III.

If you were buying a new computer, a SB16 could be a logical choice for a 486 (or a clone if you were buying cheap). In a Pentium II, most computers were equipped with cheap (useless for DOS) PCI cards, like the SB PCI64/128 (or Ensoniq ES1371).

A Pentium PC is a though decision... I've seen those computers with PCI sound cards, but in earlier Pentiums (60~100Mhz) they were bus hoggers and tend to do some background noises (on real PCs, I guess that they won't do that on emulated hardware). I'd use a SB AWE because I feel that it fits that CPU perfectly, but they weren't cards offered with that computers (again: ISA or PCI cheap cards).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree with Zup's comments.

PCI sound cards didn't really gain wide spread adoption until 1998 ( as people started to upgrade to Pentium II PC's).
Many people bought Pentium MMX CPU's in 1997 and 1998, due to the high cost of the Pentium II and, although some later models (from late 1997 & 1998) might have had PCI sound cards in them (most likely OEM builds), I would say that an ISA card is a better fit.

Pairing your Pentium I with an AWE based card should be period correct since the first AWE32 was released in 1994 and the last one (the AWE64) in late 1996 and many people would have used those cards well into 1997 and beyond until they upgraded again.