VOGONS

First post, by T800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I got a serious problem with PCem's forums, as during the last few weeks, I tried to register a new account there several times, but seemingly, their administration refused to approve all of my attempts, even though, I never had anything to do with them anytime earlier. Now I'm totally clueless, what on earth could be their problem with me, since it definitelly looks like personal... The error message is always as follows: "The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.". I did, but they don't respond even to those messages.
Did anyone experienced anything similar? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 14, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote on 2021-01-31, 17:17:

Oh, you are a real person then! Your email address(es) made you look like a spambot. Please tell me it wasn't a _real_ address.

Do you ignore most emails? I registered more than 10 days ago; didn't get approved. After a week I contacted through the forum's contact page and provided my email and username; received no reply at all.

Reply 4 of 14, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SarahWalker wrote on 2021-01-31, 21:14:

I ignore the ones that look like spam at first glance. Which is so many of them.

Heh, okay. That might explain why I never got an approval for my registration either. 😅

Could you please approve my registration request as well? I sent it on March 1st, 2020. I used the same username I use here on Vogons ("digger").

If can send you the email address I used to register in a DM.

If the registration is too old and I need to resubmit it, please let me know.

Thanks! 🙂

Reply 6 of 14, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ignore the ones that look like spam at first glance. Which is so many of them.

Could you take a look at my registration, please? It's under the same username as this one.

Reply 7 of 14, by T800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote on 2021-01-31, 17:17:

Oh, you are a real person then! Your email address(es) made you look like a spambot. Please tell me it wasn't a _real_ address.

How can I be a person? If you look at my avatar, it's clear, I'm a machine! 😁 Now seriously, of course I'm a fully real person and my email addresses are valid as well. The one I used at the first time, is unique enough, to be accessible anytime only for me and the second was given by a provider, which is probably not so well known globaly, but it's one of the biggest ones in my country. Thanks for the approval btw.

Reply 8 of 14, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently discovered PCem. I built a stable Wing Commander 1 system last night. Amazed. I too would love to join the PCem forum if still accepting new comers. Could not find any registration buttons.

Reply 9 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there's recently been spambot attacks, bots that think the pcem place is a fine way to market WoW GoLd and roof replacements, so I am not shocked the registration is currently disabled.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 14, by ntalaec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote on 2024-04-28, 13:15:

As leileilol says, registration is disabled due to the sheer number of spambots. It's nominally temporary until a better solution is implemented, but no idea when that will be.

Nice to see you again.

Are you going back to develop PCem or just checking its status?

Reply 14 of 14, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to know about the forum.

Sarah! One can't be expected to be in the same project forever. Regardless, please let me express (as I'm sure many have done) how grateful I am for such a project to exist. I've been playing with PCem over the weekend and it's really been impressive. I've built various DOS systems and this really makes me forget that it's not real. I've even tried tricking some things, like purposefully loading the wrong SB driver kit for the wrong SB card, just to see if it would really fail. SB16's diagnose.exe was not amused that I only had a SB 2.0 installed! Later I even managed to use your SB16 external MIDI option to map the MPU-401 (with the help of SoftMPU for intelligent mode) to an external USB connected MT-32 for Wing Commander. It actually worked.

The realism of having the emulation down to the motherboard is quite impressive. I have no idea how you've emulated so many pieces of hardware into convenient drop down menus, but thank you kindly. This definitely took me back to the 90's of endless tinkering.

If I had any request, it would be to hope that the code can be re-compiled in the future for when we are on Windows 20+ and running whatever architecture we end up on.