VOGONS

First post, by progr3sso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently my former PC's motherboard broke and I bought a new PC, a Ryzen 3 2200G. And damn, am I regretting buying a Ryzen instead of an Intel. I used to run Windows 98 in VMWare, but now trying to install it in the recent releases gives me errors. I managed to install it in VMWare 9, but it has no sound and dragging files to the guest gives the host a BSOD.

Then I moved to PCem and followed a Youtube tutorial. But the installation is stuck in a loop - it starts over when it reboots after copying the files. Next I tried 86Box, but it crashes as soon as I start it. I heard about Virtual PC 2007, but it doesn't work in Windows 10. And I believe VirtualBox didn't work for Windows 98.

It's so frustrating. Is there some way to solve any of these issues, or should I just give up? 😖

Reply 2 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a lot of problems going on here. There is no reason you can't install windows 98 in PCem. I've done it and it's really straightforward.

That is the best way to play quite a few windows 98 games because you can emulate 3d acceleration (you don't get that with most virtualization techniques).

I don't have any experience with using VMware to run windows 98, but from what I understand you don't get 3d acceleration. So you will have to settle for software renderers or 2d games. I am not sure how well sound works either.

If you want to install windows 98 bare metal it might be possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO2BSLkQLDA

Finally if you are willing to compile it from source (and you almost certainty aren't), you can try this.

https://github.com/kjliew/qemu-3dfx

Reply 3 of 5, by progr3sso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-07-16, 23:38:

Thanks, but I don't think I understand most of it (I'm a casual user with no computing knowledge): how to reboot into safe mode, how to disable 32-bit mode for drives, how to reboot to MS-DOS and replace files there... Is there any video that shows how to take all those steps?

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-07-16, 23:45:

You have a lot of problems going on here. There is no reason you can't install windows 98 in PCem. I've done it and it's really straightforward.

Supposing it isn't because of Ryzen, maybe the problem is the configuration I imitated? Which one do you think is the best one for W98?

Reply 4 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can upload your configuration file and I can take a look. I attached the configuration I use. You can drag it into PCem's config folder and take a look at it in the UI. All of the paths will be different ofc so you will have to create your own HDD.

Before we go too far though it might be better if you tell us what you are trying to do. What games or software are you trying to run?

Attachments

• Filename
    WINDOWS98.cfg
    File size
    1.75 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license
    Public domain