VOGONS

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in the middle of creating a bootable FAT16 hard drive image for use with many PC emulators.
I then used a binary editor to examine the valid image.
I compared it to a FAT16 image with MBR (master boot record) intact. The data is valid, but what I did notice is that right after the partition table in the MBR, there's 8KB of data that's completely empty.

I can reproduce this setup just by creating a FAT16 image using mkfatimage16 from dosemu package.

When I stripped the 128 byte header of the image (that's strictly for dosemu), and make the image valid for CD booting, I checked the image with fdisk, it shows the starting position is at sector 17.

Is it normal for FAT16 partitions to have such a large empty space (8KB) between the MBR and the first FAT16 partition when using standard partition tools like DOS 6.22 FDISK?

Reply 1 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes. Dependent on the sectors/cylinder size of the 'hard drive'

newer partitioning schemes actually set aside a lot more space, circa 1MB if my memory is correct.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 5, by TheMechanist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mike_canada wrote on 2021-07-28, 04:16:
I'm in the middle of creating a bootable FAT16 hard drive image for use with many PC emulators. I then used a binary editor to e […]
Show full quote

I'm in the middle of creating a bootable FAT16 hard drive image for use with many PC emulators.
I then used a binary editor to examine the valid image.
I compared it to a FAT16 image with MBR (master boot record) intact. The data is valid, but what I did notice is that right after the partition table in the MBR, there's 8KB of data that's completely empty.

I can reproduce this setup just by creating a FAT16 image using mkfatimage16 from dosemu package.

When I stripped the 128 byte header of the image (that's strictly for dosemu), and make the image valid for CD booting, I checked the image with fdisk, it shows the starting position is at sector 17.

Is it normal for FAT16 partitions to have such a large empty space (8KB) between the MBR and the first FAT16 partition when using standard partition tools like DOS 6.22 FDISK?

you can add a valid bootsector here (I didn't) or check the comments for FAT16 ...

https://codeberg.org/Asato/swap42

Unchained demo group
swap42

Reply 3 of 5, by TheMechanist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw. you could skip the empty clusters between mbr und pbr (set the necessary emtries) what I tried first - but MSDOS will ignore it and not recognize it as valid drive

Unchained demo group
swap42

Reply 4 of 5, by TheMechanist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for compatibility/historic reasons MSDOS expects a lot of settings (number of FAT copies) so best is not to touch them even if the papers allow it ..

Unchained demo group
swap42

Reply 5 of 5, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up contacting the guy who made these pages about my same inquiry:
https://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/index.html

He happened to reply faster than just about anyone else. He tells me that all hard drives when formatted with partitions have a big gap between the MBR and the first partition. The gap I discovered in mine is 8KB in side. The guy says that in newer partition setups that feature Windows Vista or later, the gap is at least 1MB in size. I probably wouldn't even use more than 2KB for my needs and because the hard drive in this case is an image file, I don't have to worry about losing real contents.