VOGONS

First post, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
today I've tried to emulate a IBM AT (5170), and to run a necessary setup, I've downloaded from minuszerodegrees.net also the Advanced Diagnostics Disk (2.07, but the version does not really matter).
With the current dev build, I was not able to run the Advanced Diagnostics Disk, because it stops before the text menu usually appears, instead, it shows "0152 ERROR - SYSTEM BOARD" after answering the question about if I had running the diagnostics before (you can answer the question with y or n, does not really have an effect). See attached screenshots.
I tried to use an older dev build, bring up the same problem. I tried also a fresh installation.
Is this normal (because using a development version) ?

Regards Peter

Added later: I tried also the 2.07 release version of 86Box, but the same error occurs. I've taken PCem v17 also, just for comparison - no error.

Attachments

• Filename
    86box-ibmat2.png
    File size
    8.92 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 86box-ibmat1.png
    Filename
    86box-ibmat1.png
    File size
    12.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by Peter z80.eu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now after looking for "time sync", I've found this comment: https://github.com/86Box/86Box/issues/323#iss … mment-426859584 ... so does this (century byte "problem") occur also if you're using a real 5170, and set it to 2021 before using the 2.x of "Advanced Diagnostics" ? Strange, I can't remember that this ever happened....

Reply 3 of 4, by cproell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that would be nice if someone can check, if a real 5170 does this too. I think it does.
I had this problem in 86Box a while ago and was surprised by the solution. But those old machines have some pretty surprises today 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The real 5170 isn't going to override whatever the diagnostics diskette writes there with date and time from somewhere else, so it's very unlikely the diagnostics diskette is going to be reading that value from the century register at that point.

I also haven't tried forcing, say, a value of 19h (ie. the 20th century), and seeing if I still get the error. Because for all I know, it might simply be that the diagnostics diskette clear the CMOS and then attempts to read it out, and thinks it's broken when the century register reports a forced value instead of what it wrote there.